add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me build a moderate gaming pc! Steam Games, ultra settings older MMORPGs ($400-600)

GarlicButter
  • 54 months ago

I guess I am a total newbie at this but here goes: of the games i want to play I read that thhe GeForce GTX960 will play them all on the settings i want, but is the 960 the best and cheapest at that point? I want to build a system that does not bottleneck itself and that will hold up for 5-12 years without much replacement parts/burn out, energy effeciency is fairly important as the inside of my house runs 80 degreees or more on average so overheating and wattage are always an issue.

Budget - looking for around 400-450 but I can go up to $600 after shipping, taxes, etc. Location - by the beaches of florida (humid, hot, salty air constantly breezing throughh home) Use - Gaming (and some game designing programs) Perphrials required - None Operating System - None required i have unix/linux OSs and Windows 7.1 and 10. Plan on running windows or a windows emulator for some games of course.

I probably need some way to access internet on this rig via wifi or plug in (usb) I do not need more than 250gigs of space (i strugle to use 90 gigs currently of my 180 gig drive) so an SSD might be ideal.

Example games: World of warcraft on amped settings (beyond ultra where particle effect flags are ticked way beyond interface's regular limits), LoL, Heroes of the Storm, Fallout 4 max settings, ps2" quality/aged games with their graphics amped up a bit via the pc's hardware, MMORPGs like Soul of Sword, Tera, PSO2, SWOTOR on max settings, etc, lots of pixel art and retro games, designing action/platformer type video games (and testing them in clinet/on comp). The "retro" games seldom exceed 500mb in size.

I am good with 60 fps 70 would be more ideal when doing a solo game and 40-60 is fine for a multiplayer or mmo/moba game. I am more interested in maximum partical effects quality without lagging the game play than other forms of resolution and rendering of game elements (sparkly colors and effects/explosions are why i play video games!)

Looking for bare minimum price points ideally, with all the parts meshing together well to reduce the posibility of malfunction (need this baby to last me 5-12 years before i upgrade again).

EDIT: I should mention i tend to use HD televisions as my Monitors so HDMI out is a must. And At least 2 USB ports (but i don't need more than 2). I do not need anything like Blueray drives or the like i want this as barebones and affordable as possible!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

Should do the job, Not sure on the Air Flow spec's of the Included fan, so have added two for the front that will move a lot of air. Help you get a good fresh air flow going. As well as the AIO CPU Cooler

I've stuck with the 960 for you manly due to less problems with drivers if your running linux/windows. Two drives SSD for your OS and main games, HDD for SWAP drive and other stuff.

Full load Wattage is under 300W. Enjoy building :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $72.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 120 91.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus A68HM-K Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $29.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $29.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $19.95 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $179.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 Window ATX Mid Tower Case $18.25 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply $14.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan $3.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan $3.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $551.10
Mail-in rebates -$110.00
Total $441.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 15:41 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah... Change the power supply.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks great might mix and matcha with the other recomendations, since this has too much storage on it (dont need two hard drives just the ssd) and the info presented about amd driver quality.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $46.75 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $53.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card $174.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $30.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $47.60 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $25.50 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition (2-Pack) 63.5 CFM 120mm Fans $27.98 @ OutletPC
Total $576.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 21:47 EST-0500

This is at the upper end but better than the athlon especially in wow the drivers are far better on Intel. The game that wont run great is fallout but be the same result on the athlon at least here you can upgrade to an i5 or i7. I have this case and for the price is surprisingly good comes with two fans I added the others just cuz but prob don't need them.

Any questions?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks great.

• 54 months ago
  • -1 points

I agree that the PSU could be a better one and that the main-board is not that up-gradable. But it runs Fallout 4 fine on on the Athlon (youngest is running it) plus is very easy to overclock, and has been stated to be stable up to 5GHz but i would not go more then 4.5Ghz to be safe. (With a good cooler) Ideally minimal 6 cores these days with Hype Threading, will make a big difference

Some games now wont even run on the Dual core CPU (Farcry 4 wont even start unless you have a Quad). 4GB GFX card is a must as well for fallout 4, as you wont get framerate drops during texture loading.

Case's tend to be a personal preference, (Deepcool do make some nice cases) but at the end of the day your the one who is going to be look it, so have a look around.

I believe i may of miss read your post and i dont know how shipping a taxes in the US work. So here is my "REVISED" Build, better CPU, Main-board & PSU. Wont lie case front fans can be a bit awkward to fit, (that or my fingers are too short)

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $119.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 120 91.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $47.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $19.95 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $179.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 700W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $732.87
Mail-in rebates -$130.00
Total $602.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 08:31 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 3 points

Some games now wont even run on the Dual core CPU (Farcry 4 wont even start unless you have a Quad). 4GB GFX card is a must as well for fallout 4, as you wont get framerate drops during texture loading.

No.

Some games won't start on a DUAL THREADED CPU.

There are lots of quad threaded CPU's that are only dual core, and those games open just fine on them.

Core count is not a measure of execution resources. Intel has many examples of "dual core" with as many or MORE execution resources than "quad cores" from AMD. A hyperthreaded haswell core has more execution resources than a piledriver module.

Ideally minimal 6 cores these days with Hype Threading, will make a big difference

The least expensive CPU with 6 hyperthreaded cores is the near-$400 i7-5820K.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube