add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU reaching 75-90 degrees in 50% load

RevivoRoy

50 months ago

I have an i5 4460 and it gets to 80 degrees while playing Minecraft! I downloaded it to test the GPU but the CPU is getting really hot! I have an Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev 2, should I get a different CPU cooler?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I cannot find the exact specifications for it, but it is a very basic cooler. I would replace it with a cheap tower cooler like the tx2 or tx3 from coolermaster

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Even a small cooler shouldn't get that hot at low load. Did you apply thermal paste correctly? Is the cooler properly mounted to the board?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

It is. I don't have thermal paste, it was pre applied. Should I replace it? I need to pick up some SATA cables anyway so if you think i should replace it I'll do it while I'm at the place

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a tube of thermal paste. Wipe off all the old paste, and put a drop of new paste the size of a rice grain in the center of the CPU. Install the CPU cooler according to the instruction manual.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you changed the fan settings in BIOS? Should be able to get more cooling at the cost of more noise. That cooler is basic but should be good for 95 watts (i.e. a bit more than your CPUs TDP) assuming the CPU surface and Pre-applied paste were clean when you installed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube