add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone that has knowledge about Windows 7 and Ubuntu?

Juanjunttila
  • 54 months ago

I would like to greet you for taking your time to answer my questions.

Number 1- I was doing a study comparing Ubuntu and Windows 7 32 bits. I know that the OS itself drains power, but how much? I have tried to find the answers but with no success for both Windows 7 (32bit) and Ubuntu. Number 2- I do have Ubuntu on my viritual computer and i have tried it, but i don't seem to find any games. With like Windows 7 you get like that pinball game you played when you didn't have any internet, but do Ubuntu have any pre-installed games? Number 3 - Some of the functions for people that have any disability. Windows 10 did add the voice-activated Katana (or somthing).. But what did windows and Ubuntu did for the people with any sort of Disability.

I don't want you you to answer all my questitions if you don't want to, but one would awesome. (sorry for my bad english..)

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

1) If you don't take the time to make adjustments, Ubuntu is often a bit worse at power management than Windows, because it is usually not optimized for the computer you're running it on, whereas Windows probably came with the computer and is properly optimized for it. With proper configuration, Ubuntu can be made very power efficient (as good as Windows, or even better). Research software like TLP to get the most efficiency.

2) Last time I checked, Ubuntu has preinstalled games, but I haven't really used it in a while, so I don't know if the new versions do. There are plenty of games you can download in the Ubuntu Software Center. I think Hex-a-hop and Micropolis are good time killers.

3) Ubuntu has programs like Orca for the disabled. Orca can do things like read text on the screen and magnify it if your vision is poor. You may have to install these programs separately, and I don't know how well they work, but they exist.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Number 1- I was doing a study comparing Ubuntu and Windows 7 32 bits. I know that the OS [Ubuntu] itself drains power, but how much? I have tried to find the answers but with no success for both Windows 7 (32bit) and Ubuntu.

Despite the fact that it now runs the crushing majority of smartphones today, Linux is still treated as an annoyance by hardware vendors. Windows still gets all the attention when it comes to driver development and power optimization. As a consequence, Linux distros don't eke out all the power savings they might.

That said: You may care to check out the tool PowerTop from Intel, which will analyze power usage, and make suggestions to save power.

Number 2- I do have Ubuntu on my viritual computer and i have tried it, but i don't seem to find any games. [ ... ]

You're not looking in the right place :-). Fire up Synaptic, select the "Games and Amusement" section, and pick something interesting to install.

Windows 10 did add the voice-activated [Cortana].. But what did windows and Ubuntu did for the people with any sort of Disability.

Accessibility options in Ubuntu/Linux are admittedly limited, but there are some. I don't think I've seen any voice input options. I believe there's some support for Braille readers...

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, that was not the question.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube