add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NEED HELP WITH OPERATING SYSTEM

GrizzlyGoat
  • 54 months ago

So I'm building a new pc with a h440 and it doesn't have an external 5.25 inch bay for an optical drive. How will I install windows 10? I am a mac user currently and I don't know what to do. Do I need to buy an external optical drive? Will that work? And also if I do it by USB, how will it work and how do I do it?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

You can buy Win10 on a USB drive, follow the directions that come with it, but basically you connect it to a USB 2.0 slot and in the BIOS you can boot from it and let it install.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need external DVD drive. You can use your USB device. Just download some Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. Then you can make your USB bootable, set your bios boot priorities to USB device and start installing :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

What is a windows USB download tool and how do I make it bootable? I'm confused

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

it's a tool which allows you to make your usb device bootable ... see this link :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah but I'm using a mac and have no pcs/windows in my house. Do I have to download the tool and can I still buy the windows 10 home package?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Go to this link and click the "download tool now" button.

This will download the Microsoft Media creation tool. The steps are laid out under "Using the Media Creation tool" > "Perform a clean installation using USB or DVD".

Basically, you'll need to plug in an empty USB and run the tool. This will create a bootable USB drive you can then plug into the computer where you want to install Windows onto (make sure the pc is turned off when you insert the USB). Start the system and it should boot from the USB asking you to install Windows 10. If it doesn't, you'll need to go into the BIOS and manually select the USB as boot device to start the installation process.

*EDIT*: Since you're on a mac, this might help.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much :D This really helped me

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

But if I do it like on the link you gave me, do I still need to buy the windows 10 package? This one? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900140

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Systems > Troubleshooting" to "Software > Operating Systems".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube