add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Video Editing Upgrade - Help me Pick Parts Please

jtice
  • 55 months ago

I am wanting to upgrade my PC (MB, CPU, RAM) I have this Video Card on the way, since I want to run 3 or 4 monitors/tvs. ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121855

PC will be used fr video editing, photo editing, I tend to have alot open at once, google docs, browser, playing a movie, etc. It will NOT be used for gaming.

I did have some 6th Gen i5 stuff picked out, but, it seems I might be better off with something with hyperthreading? So i was looking at the i7-4790K, but that ups the cost some. The Xeon E3-1231 was recommended, seems barely more $ than a new i5, but has hyperthreading. I dont care to over clock, so thats not an issue.

Wanting to be around a $500 budget for MB, CPU and RAM (8 to 16GB)

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So far this is what I have came up with, Let me know if you see any problems, would like to order it soon. Thanks guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cKc8d

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Normally I wouldn't opt for a Z97 board with a non-K non overclocking build, but Z97 boards do offer more IO, and with recent price slashing on this platform there are a whole bunch of nice Z97 boards hovering right around the $100 mark. Price compression sort of forces the issue, I'd rather have an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 for only $105 shipped than just about any H97 board, since most ATX H97 boards are ~$90+ right now anyway.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, didnt know that was an option, so the the Z97 boards are compatible with the H97 stuff like the Xeon E3-1231 ???

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

NM, just saw that it does support the Xeoon. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=CPU

I guess that gives me more options for MBs. Though it seems the only advantage the Z has is overclocking, which I dont care about, and the ability for faster RAM.

I thought I saw that the Xeon E3-1231 v3 only supported up to 1600 RAM though? Or am I missing something, and you can run faster RAM than that? And,,, does it really make a big difference? The RAM I have picked out is just 1600

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Though it seems the only advantage the Z has is overclocking, which I dont care about,

Often times, the Z97 boards have richer I/O. The PCIE expansion configuration on most Z97 boards is a bit better, and the USB I/O is sometimes superior.

In this case, the Z97 is also cheaper.

The coupon code at superbiiz only works on 1 item, and shipping isn't included in the Superbiiz price. (They normally charge ~$10-15 to ship a motherboard). So the H97 fatality will actually wind up costing you MORE than the Z97 Extreme4 right now.

and the ability for faster RAM.

I thought I saw that the Xeon E3-1231 v3 only supported up to 1600 RAM though?

All 1150 socket haswell Core and Xeon series CPU's officially support 1600MT/s.

Any configuration faster than that, is technically overclocked.

Or am I missing something, and you can run faster RAM than that? And,,, does it really make a big difference? The RAM I have picked out is just 1600

1600MT/s is the speed you want if you want a plug-n-play setup that does not require stability testing. There is very little advantage to overclocking memory. Few percent, nothing major.

I wouldn't personally bother with the fancy trident memory. A 1600-9-9-9 kit for $30 less will work just fine.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I will get that ASRock Z97 Extreme4 and the 1600 RAM I have picked out already.

Thanks alot, you have been a huge help.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this Video Card on the way, since I want to run 3 or 4 monitors/tvs. ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Cancel that order. Wrong GPU for quad-monitor unless one of them is an old CRT or something (VGA). Gigabyte is the only brand making a GTX750Ti with 4 digital outputs (they have some options with 2 X DVI + 2 X HDMI). For all intents and purposes those are limited to 4 X 1440 @60hz, which is fine, however, price compression in this region really makes this a pointless endeavor. There's an EVGA GTX950 for only $136 on amazon right now with support for up to 4 X 4K displays via 1 X HDMI 2.9 + 3 X DP 1.2 ports (Also has a DVI port on top of that).

More importantly, the GTX950 will offer superior GPGPU openCL/CUDA performance in video editors, and also has a fixed function H.265 capable video engine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $18.75 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $104.99 @ Newegg
Memory Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card $135.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $550.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 19:40 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU is due to arrive tomorrow :/ But, currently I have 3 mis-matched monitors. One 24" Dell with DVI, and two Dell 19" with VGA. So I am hoping that will still work? (using a DVI to VGA adapter on one of the DVI ports) Then if I can ALSO run my TV off the HDMI port, that would be perfect.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, that's a bummer of a configuration there.

Unfortunately, neither the GPU you selected, nor the GPU I advised as a replacement will work for that specific configuration of monitors without the use of an active adapter to generate another analog output. The GTX750Ti you have coming, does not have any DVI-I ports, both are DVI-D (digital only). For the GPU you have on order, you'll have to add a DVI-D to VGA active adapter to complete the setup (~$20). Otherwise it should work fine, all 4 monitors should be usable. I've done a very similar thing on my GTX650Ti, running a VGA connected monitor, 2 X DVI-D monitors, and connected to the receiver/TV via HDMI.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

ahhhhhhhhhh Crap, I forgot all about DVI-I vs. DVI-D ports. That sucks to add $20 to that to make it work. That, or it an excuse to replace one of these old VGA monitors with a newer one ;) haha

Thanks alot for the advice, I will make it work somehow. If I can get 3 monitors, and the tv all at the same time, even if it takes an adapter, I will be happy.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Ended up snagging a deal on Two Dell 24" monitors on Amazon for $99 each, gotta love Black Friday deals... Should solve my connection issue on the vid card. They have DVI inputs, and my current 24" has DVI, and a VGA, so I should be able to use the VGA to run it. So no adapters needed now.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

stop trolling or i will ban your account.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

K

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube