add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do you move windows 10 to ssd?

dacrafterdude
  • 54 months ago

I just got a 120 gig ssd and I was wondering if there is a way to move windows to the ssd without doing a clean install and while leaving some other things on the had? Or do I have to do a clean install?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

while leaving some other things on the had?

There is no way for migrating certain parts of OS onto the ssd from HDD. Cloning is your only answer in this scenario. However, it works and it sometimes doesn't work. I've tried cloning my HDD → SSD, but i never got it to work, so i just went onto a clean install.

I always recommend a clean install since you can: choose what files go onto your SSD and what files go onto your HDD, you get no possible drivers interference, and the install is correctly formatted and configured to use on an SSD instead of taking the HDD configuration and slapping it onto the SSD. Also, if you are cloning, you must to make sure the HDD partition is small enough to fit onto the SSD.

Cloning software, very straight forward:

• Samsung magician if you have a samsung SSD such as the 850 or 840 evo/pro
  • EasyUS todo backup free
  • Acronis true image(Free versions if you using intel or western digital SSD / HDD respectively)

If you do go with a clean install, most of your data(settings n stuff) is stored in your "Users" folder(mostly under documents and appdata). Although there are some programs that save settings within their files, so be aware of that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry if I wasn't clear what I meant to say was is there a way to move just the or and keep all of my other things on my hdd?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Same thing, you cannot move just the OS from HDD to SSD. You can only clone the entire drive to the other. Even if you could clone just OS from HDD to SSD, programs would probably break since windows/programs think their said files are on your SSD(Your new C: drive) but really are on the HDD(D: drive when cloned).

Still recommend a clean install just because everything is fresh, but you still retain your files on the HDD. Although, you will have to readjust all your settings.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube