add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any cheaper alternative to paying for the $100+ Windows OS (not a student) for a new computer?

PCBro11
  • 54 months ago

Hi, is there any way to install a Windows OS (pref. Windows 7, but I'm fine with Windows 10) that is cheaper than paying $100 for a Windows 10 disk?

Do Windows OS ever go on sale? Or would it be possible to use the refurbished disks or upgrade disks for a clean install? Not interested in pirating, thanks!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Ubuntu Linux?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

The big one would be Linux. FreeBSD is also worth looking at.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The cheapest 64-Bit is a Windows 8.1 from OutletPC with MIRs. Yes I know it's Windows 8, but you can simply upgrade to 10.

Yes they do on retail sites such as Amazon or Newegg.

Or would it be possible to use the refurbished disks

I would not trust these, most likely their product keys are already used.

or upgrade disks for a clean install?

Upgrade disks like from 8 to 8 Pro are only if you have the base operating system, so no it would not work.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen some around $60 on Ebay and Amazon. Would you not recommend trusting those? I've heard mixed things.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

no

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I would not trust these, most likely their product keys are already used.

I just installed Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit for a Re-Furbished PC and it installed just fine. Here's where I got it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LG25894?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I paid $40 for it 2 weeks ago though! I think it was either on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. It was installed on a 10 year old computer that was still running Windows XP Pro!!

The original hard drive was failing on this computer so I purchased a Samsung SSD 250GB 850 EVO Series. Once the OS was installed, I tried to activate automatically but got a message saying to activate via automated telephone service. The window I was in provided me with a phone # , once I selected the country I was from_U.S., I dialed the number and had to speak into the receiver when told to do so. After a few questions and providing the product key, I was given a series of numbers to enter into the screen on my monitor- I think it was 6 different numbers I had to input into something like 9 different areas/boxes. Once that was done, activation was successful!

The only thing I will warn you about is once the activation was done and I was back at my desktop, it was black! I use 2 monitors and both were black. I could see the couple of icons that were on the desktop and the taskbar, but that was it....total blackness! I thought for sure I had a pirated version of Windows, even though the activation I just went through was successful, I got nervous.

I decide to right click on my desktop and I selected Personalize, the new window that opened showed me that the color Black, had been the default color selected for my background. Once I selected a different theme/color, my desktop was back to normal.

So for those of you that decide to get the Re-Furbished Windows & OEM OS, just be patient during the install and activation and if, once you're done, the screen is black, change the desktop background color(s).

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Effectively no, unless you are a student, or member of an organization with discounted or free Windows licenses.

You can upgrade from 7/8 for free until sometime next year, but that generally only saves a little bit of money.

And do try to pick up a 32/64-bit retail license; the OEM licenses are generally locked to a motherboard.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen some around $60 on Ebay and Amazon. Would you not recommend trusting those? I've heard mixed things.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

arr matey..

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux, Android, steam os, doesn't Apple allow you to use there's free?

Etc etc etc

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, not a legit key. Those are MSDN developer keys and will be deactivated by MS within a few months.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

How can you tell, does it say on the product page?!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

No, but any key that costs less than 70pound is not real. That is just the fact. No disputing it at all. All the cheap keys like this are just duplicates of MSDN keys people sell. They are 100% ILLEGAL to buy or sell.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought this site didn't allow illegal sites, or sites that are selling illegal items for software or product keys?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Softwaregeeks is not on this website.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube