add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much power would be enough to run two 980 with plenty of headroom?

SpeedyBeedy
  • 52 months ago

Any advice?

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

that is exaggerated (805-1000 watts)

for two 980s a 750 watts is more than enough. Without overclocking a 650 watts PSU will work perfectly fine! So you can overclock the XXX out of everything and with a 750 watts you will still have headroom.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

you can get the EVGA G2 750 PSU

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on rest of system but I would say 805-1000W. Love the profile pic btw

• 52 months ago
  • 4 points

750 watts is more than enough even if everything is overclocked to the max, there will be more than 100 watts of headroom. Remember this is not a 980ti.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

We dont know the rest of the system, he could have a 9590 for all I know. I would want 850 at least for peace of mind

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

it wouldn't even make sense to buy a 9590 at this point, and if you check the OP saved list

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SpeedyBeedy/saved/

you will see that she has the 980 paired with an i5 and also i7 (which makes more sense). So even if she decides to overclock them and also the ram and GPU, she will have headroom with a 750 watts PSU. If she didn't overclock a 650 watts would even be OK...

• 52 months ago
  • -2 points

Are you including efficency into this, at 100% load a 750W Gold PSU will put out 675W which with all under load will crash out on power managment if overclocked, the draw with 2 980s is 526W overclocked at 20% extra power is about 640W thats an awfully close threshold to full draw you get 35W of headroom which can easily be hit with a couple of case fans or LEDs also the noise of the PSU would be horrid as it screams under the full load. So yes you are right you could get 750W with an OC but noise and tight margins could call it hense my better safe than sorry approach with 850W-1000W to keep noise down

• 52 months ago
  • 4 points

A 750W power supply will always put out 750W of power at max load. Efficiency has nothing to do with the rated output; the only reason why a "750W" unit might deliver less than 750W is if it's an over-rated piece of junk.

Efficiency affects how much power it takes off the AC outlet it's plugged into. An 80% efficient 400W power supply, at full load, will take (400/0.8) = 500W off the wall.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

This is not how efficiency/80+ works at all.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, it's Lucy from Fairy Tail

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I know. Not my favoirte Fairy Tail character though, Erza is too badass to not be my favorite.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

XD

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

come on man, Lucy has been through alot recently, she deserves the top slot!

Im really liking Laxus recently since the grand magic games

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry I just find Lucy a bit annoying at times, Erza is just to cool. (p.s my favorite bad guy is Zeref incase you were wondering)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

i dunno, Zeref might not be that bad. Ive never viewed him as the bad guy since they showed him on that island long ago... it seems his motivations are not the same as that of Tartarus... Or at least not in modern times...

Im just waiting to see First Master again.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Check the wattage for a build that has 2 980s, then multiply that number by 1.8, then get a power supply that has an output that is close to the number.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube