add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Old Hard drive, new pc. Problems?

Emech24
  • 54 months ago

Hi, I am building a pc for gaming, streaming, and video editing. Here is the build; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vqW7Q7. I have an old 160gb hard drive with windows 7 pro on it, and I was wondering if I could put it into my pc for a temporary boot drive, and then transfer it to my new drive. Would I have to pre-install drivers?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

... Old Hard drive, new pc. Problems? ... old 160gb hard drive with windows ...

Would not be unusual. Clean install of OS is generally recommended.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You can put the drive in the PC, but it may give you issues at boot with not having correct drivers. Just press F8 at boot and boot into safemode and install the drives while in safemode, then reboot. You may not even need to boot into safemode it is only if you have issues booting. Also you might need to re-activate windows.

Like Warlock says, Clean install of OS is usually the best course of action.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, should I delete the old drivers, and if so, how do I do so?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you should just backup the data and do a clean install of Windows. Just make sure that it's not an OEM version.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Sry for spam, but I don't have a lot of time :P. Could I transfer the OS by itself into a new hard drive if they are both in the pc?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but you would need to use a tool like Clonezilla and the hard drive must be greater than or equal to the size of the current drive.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

PLEEEZ HELP!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

With Windows 7 it will most likely not work and require a fresh install.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube