add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Near Silent ITX machine on a 27" or 34" monitor for Productivity and Gaming

milroc
  • 54 months ago

Budget: ideally $500-600 range for the silicon but if absolutely necessary the top of my budget would be $1100

Use (Gaming, Rendering, etc): Gaming Programming

Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): (Kind of related as I want to power a 34" or 27" monitor, but not part of the budget/build).

Operating System required: (nope, I take that out of the budget).

Really ideal: Near silent (will easily consider the best case, heatsinks, & fans as separate from the budget described here) in the smallest ITX case.

A bit more context:

At home, I've been working/gaming on a MBP 13" hooked up to a really dated 20" monitor (from 2003) and am looking to upgrade. I'd really like a 34" monitor for programming, designing, and photography. I've also began playing more games (SC2, LoL, and soon Overwatch).

I've been playing the video games on quite low settings and am really looking to power the 34" monitor without issues for Ultra settings for the games described.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

will easily consider the best case

that would be the Ncase M1 IMO

https://www.ncases.com/

also the not yet released dan A4 case which would be the smallest

https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4.php

Do you want to overclock?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd prefer not to overclock, I know it's safe and not that much of a hassle and save me a bit but quiet is valued a bit more.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

here is something so you have an idea. I went with the 500 watts SFX as it has the largest fan and should be the qquietest of all SFX PSU. There are two options for coolers the noctua NH-L9i which will cost around 42 bucks and the cryorig C7 which is available on amazon for 30 bucks. for some reason vendors are not showing up with the cooler.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Low-Profile-Cooler-Retail-Cooling/dp/B009VCAJ7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449086431&sr=8-1&keywords=nh-l9i

http://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-C7-47mm-tall-Heatsink/dp/B0177GTV9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449086477&sr=8-1&keywords=cryorig+c7

noctua should be quieter but the cryorig will better cool as it is rated for 100 watts tdp.

If this build is not urgent you might want to consider waiting for NVIDIA upcoming pascal. Also went with the locked i5, didn't know if you are doing heavy stuff with photoshop and similar programs that you would benefit from hyperthreading (i7).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler -
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $117.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $93.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $194.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $115.98 @ Newegg
Other Ncase M1 $185.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $917.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 15:05 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much pegotico this helped so much, I don't think I'd really benefit heavily from hyperthreading right now so that should be fine.

A 960 is sufficient to run 1440p at decent frame rates for the games I listed I'm assuming? Looking at the PR for the Pascal most of it seemed geared to enterprise and GPU computing not gaming am I wrong?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

the 960 would be great for 1080 but for 1440 you should consider stepping up.. Prbably the ideal GPU for 1440p would be the 980ti which would put your budget very high. The minimum is the R9 390 or GTX 970, being the 390 the better choice of the two... If going with the 390 you would have to change the PSU for the 600 watts version.

In most games the 960 would be around mid 20s FPS at 1440p. I was looking for benchmarks as I don't play lol and starcraft.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The dan A4 case is exactly what I'm looking for (if it can be really quiet). Do you know when it will be released? I just subscribed for it.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

this is the best place to check

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1799326

it supposed to be by the end of this year.. not much left

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Pegotico, thanks again for being so helpful.

I'm considering getting a pretty cheap case in the meantime because he mentioned end of 2015 just for the Indiegogo/Kickstarter campaign. Have any recommendations?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube