add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a pc that will run Steam and the Steam OS pretty well preferably around $600 maybe even $500

S0nny_WarBucks58
  • 54 months ago

This is so I can play Garry's mod and the other steam games that are pretty B.A.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Please read. I have no idea what you want included on that budget.

One thing I'd keep in mind: AMD still has extremely sub-par Linux drivers for their video cards, so I'd stay with an NVIDIA card.

EDIT: And before Allan yells at me: it's mostly OpenGL Linux video games that AMD has issues with. Other applications run fairly well, and hopefully AMD's Vulkan driver will be competitive with NVIDIA's Vulkan driver.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean what I want included? I'm basically giving you free range that if you were to make a steamOS operating pc, how would you make it?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you bother reading the linked post? You know, the "Please Read Before Submitting" sticky?

There's some key information which has not yet been conveyed. I know I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but please, that post is stickied for a reason.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

¡Tranquilo! So like 5-600 dollars I'm not sure what you mean by "location" Umm... I want the peripherals to be cheap, moniter wise, I can salvage a mouse and a keyboard, I have no preferance on moniters. I'm going to use SteamOS

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Location basically means "what country do you live in?"

Kept it down to $500, left some room for other things. I'd personally prefer getting an SSD and a nicer monitor, maybe something like an Acer R240HY; in theory, you might also get a GTX 960, but it'd be kind of a waste on anything less than a 1080p screen.

Primary issue is inability to upgrade the CPU without chucking away the mobo as well; the X4 860K is the best in its slot. You might prefer going for a Skylake setup, with DDR4 RAM and either a Pentium G4400 or Core i3-6100.

I'll be able to give you first-hand impressions of that monitor (the Acer R240HY) in... probably 48 hours. Very psyched right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $72.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $47.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB Dual WindForce Video Card $149.99 @ Amazon
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $35.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer G206HQLbd 60Hz 19.5" Monitor $79.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $526.78
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $496.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-03 22:39 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot man! So you think this will run everything smoothly? And definitely tell me about that moniter!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

is that better? ¡buey!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

:3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube