add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
blohmkin
  • 81 months ago

So I've been told I might have issues with my motherboard being able to handle OC my cpu. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/blohmkin/saved/1GRa Here's what I have, its already built and heres is what someone on another forum told me. "That after-market cooler implies you intend to OC your CPU. make sure your MOBO can handle it. some 970 motherboards can't provide the power properly when OCed," Just wanted to double check, what do you guys think?

Comments

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I have personally used the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0, both with FX 6300's. The Asrock board did 4.2Ghz comfortably, but anything over that (went up to 4.4Ghz) will result in throttling during stress tests (but not games). The ASUS board showed similar results, but did not throttle during stress tests @ 4.4Ghz. Both used the same Hyper 212 EVO cooler. No two CPU's are the same so that may have played a role as well. If you really want to overclock get a 990FX board. If your fine with a decent overclock, I see no problem with the 970 boards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube