add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is liquid REALLY quieter? Specs' decibel levels say otherwise...

shpong

50 months ago

I was originally thinking of purchasing a Corsair H80i to replace my my Cooler Master TX3 since I've heard that liquid cooling is more effective, saves space, and more importantly here, QUIETER.

However, I'm looking at the specs for the Corsair and other liquid coolers and I don't see how they can be quieter considering their noise levels are higher than my current air cooler. For instance, the H80i's noise level is 37.7 dbA with a fan speed at 2435 RPM, and my TX3's is 17.0 - 35.0 dbA with a fan speed of 800 - 2800 RPMs.

Am I missing something here? It looks like the same deal with other models.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Someone who actually did such build can tell you otherwise, but what I think is that for air cooling you need more fans, while not so much with water cooling, so actually it is the total noise generated by all the fans that count.

Furthermore the noise level of every part varies. So yes, there are louder and quieter choices among both air and liquid cooling.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

A cheap air cooler can easily be louder than a water aio simply because the air cooler has to run its fans so fast.

A high end air cooler can easily be quieter than a water aio simply because the water cooler has a pump, and a fan, and another fan (and because sometimes its a stock fan corsair cooler)

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

No, its not more quieter, it is just a myth, provide both have the same amount of fans and the same one's, a HSF will be quieter due to less moving parts, not to mention usually are better for there price.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the model and brand. I can only hear the pump for my H100i GTX if I put my ear right next to it. I can turn the fans down to 400 RPM and still have plenty of cooling at light load. The result is a rig quieter than my own breathing until its getting thrashed with rendering. Then it goes from silent to barely audible.

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

No, AIO coolers are significantly louder than air coolers.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube