add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How accurate is the estimated wattage?

VergilAries
  • 52 months ago

I'm making a new build for gaming and some 3D design for school. The estimated wattage is 461W, so I was looking at a 550W power supply, but some people say that I should get at least 650W.

So basically, I'm wondering how accurate is the estimated wattage? Here's a link to my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2DVCHx I'd also appreciate general thoughts about the build, it's not my first one, but it is my first time using this site.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't buy that SSD. A good 550 watt psu would be enough for this build.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'm actually still on the fence about do I really even need an SSD, the only thing I'd really put there would be the OS, so it's not something I see as necessary.

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

Do you need one? No. Is it very nice to have? Yes.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Kingston did a bait-and-switch with that SSD. Don't get that one.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ehh, take the estimated wattage, add 50%, the you have your psu good wattage

Minimum x 1.5 = optimum, roughly, the bigger the minimum, the smaller the number after the decimal point should be, might need to calculate that.

461 x 1.5 = 691. So a 550 would be enough, but if you want overclocking and lots of headroom, i would get a 700 if you can afford without filing for bankrupcy.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

550W should be enough.

About the SSD, the V300 series is pretty bad. It's overpriced to say the least, and Kingston changed their NAND flash type so now it's a slightly faster and a bit more reliable HDD. When the space begins to fill up to about 100GB, it'll probably become even more slow and maybe even slower than a 7200RPM mechanical drive.

If you can afford one, I'd definitely get a Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD. (Or a 120GB)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd suggest a 600W or 650W, G2 EVGA 650W would be perfect.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube