add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I load Windows 7 Pro onto a new SSD from older PC and then put that SSD into a laptop???

Blackink
  • 54 months ago

Whew....It seems the more research I do, the more problems I come across!

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 15 R 5537 Laptop that was purchased directly from Dell in February 2014. It came with a 1TB 5400 RPM hard drive. I'd like to change that hard drive out and install a Samsung 250GB 850-EVO Series SSD.

The problem I uncovered is the Windows Pro 64 Bit OS that is on the Laptop has no Window 7 Pro CD. If I wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 on her laptop, I would get everything I need from the currently installed hard drive. The laptop has no CD-Rom.

So if I install the SSD into her laptop, I have no way of installing the Windows 7 OS once it's installed in the laptop. I tried downloading a Windows 7 Pro ISO file from Microsoft but when I put in the COA, it tells me that that OS was installed by the laptop's mfg. and to contact them for support. Microsoft won't allow me to download the ISO file because of that.

So here's my question.....(sorry for the long sentence), If I remove/dis-connect the hard drive that's in my older Dell computer that HAS a CD-Rom drive and connect the new SSD into it, put a Windows 7 Pro CD in the CD-Rom (The windows 7 Pro CD was purchased when I built my new PC 4 months ago), install that OS onto the SSD as far as I can, probably right up until it starts asking for information (similar to what you'd see if it was a brand new first time start-up), then shut the computer off, unplug the SSD and install it into the laptop and turn on the laptop to finish the complete install.....will this work???? I can use the COA from her laptop to register the Windows 7 Pro once it's up and running on the laptop, if it gets up and running!!!!

I don't want to install any newer OS than Windows 7 for right now. I don't need to save any info that's on the current 1TB hard drive, everything important has been backed up. I won't use the 1TB hard drive unless I want to use it for a secondary hard drive for storage. If I do, I'll format it to wipe it clean.

So what are my odds of being successful with my plan? Am I completely nuts or can I do this???

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

The windows 7 Pro CD was purchased when I built my new PC 4 months ago ...

Create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive using the above.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello.....why didn't I think of that?!?

Some how I feel that I should repay you for all this help Warlock.

My wife likes to make Chex party mix for the upcoming holidays......interested in some??!!??

She makes some good xmas cookies too :)

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You mean I've been sending your invoice/bill to the wrong address?! :D

Seriously, if you want to avoid even using a USB flash drive, you can install via the solid state drive using the instructions at the following: Wakawaka, because LINK sounds boring

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Before I even go to the link you provided in your last post, the DVD I have that was used to install Windows 7 Pro 64Bit onto my new computer is an OEM version.

That shouldn't matter if I'm using another authentic product key from my wife's laptop, correct?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Using that OEM disc is fine. :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.... As far as the invoice goes? Oh yea, I've been getting 'em but my wife sees "Warlock" on the return address and thinks I'm connected to some kind of devilish cult and tears 'em in half!

Sigh........!

Maybe try a fax??!!?? lolol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube