add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

12v3 and 12v4 ?

freeman45
  • 52 months ago

I'm about to piece together a new computer. But i'm wondering if the voltage of my old power supply (3yrs old) match up to my new motherboard. It's an antec 650 truepower. Here are the stats : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

On the PSU sticker, it states that it's got two 8 pin connectors. But I only see one 8pin cord.
One says 12v3 and the other 12v4 . Is there a difference between the two? The 8pin cable isn't labeled which worries me, I'm not sure if it's 12v3 or 12v4 that I have.

This is what the sticker looks like http://i.imgur.com/wVT2st9.png

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

the only thing you need to worry about is whetehr or not you're running a cpu and gpu(s) that will trip the 25A ocp limits. other than that this psu is old, but still good. sounds like you're missing some cables.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so 12v4 and 12v3 are standard voltages for 8 pins? I'm not gona blow my mobo?

What does the 3 and 4 stand for? amps?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

the psu has the +12v split into 4 rails. rails 1 and 2 with a max current rating of 22A and rails 3 and 4 25A. it's the oer current protection implimentation, a protection measure so if anything connected is pulling more current than 22A/25A on any one rail the psu will shut off. so unless you are connecting over 300 watts worth of hardware on each 8-pin connector you have nothing to worry about. even if you did, the psu would safely shut down, the whole point of having ocp. it won't blow your motherboard. make sure you use the right connectors. the EPS 8 pin for the cpu is not compatible with vga and vice versa.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that detailed reply, much appreciated!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube