add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please Help With A New Gaming Build

lee42lee
  • 54 months ago

My son is wanting a gaming rig for Christmas and I need some suggestions please. I have built a few systems in the past but the last one I built was over 10 years ago and things have changed a lot. He will mainly be playing Minecraft and Garys Mod but I will probably play iRacing and Battlefield. I would like to keep the cost around $800. I would like for the system to be able to be upgraded later so I can setup a three monitor setup for iRacing. We live in the US and I do not need a monitor or keyboard but do need Windows 10. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a build around your budget but it does not include a case, you can make some adjustments, also does not include a disc drive but those are only 10-20 bucks anyway.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $863.31
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $833.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 10:06 EST-0500

Also this is a skylake build so there will be room to upgrade down the road and you won't have to worry about your stuff becoming too outdated too quickly.

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

good point, he said around 800 so I went a little over lol
And I forget that not everybody mails in the rebates

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

nice profile pic btw

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks for the quick replies. I put up the same question in Toms Hardware over a week ago and have not received any replies. I do have a question. I have read a lot about SSD hard drives being much faster to boot up. Would there be a disadvantage to using one of these instead? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question..lol

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD's are great for Boot Drives, that's why i suggested a small one for your OS and programs/games you use often, When i boot my pc up from completely off im at my login screen in under 5 seconds, and the ssd i have is honestly awful in the grand scheme of things. Furthermore the load times in games pull data off of the ssd is enormously faster than your standard hdd. I would recommend at least a small one for your OS. Not necessary but very nice. You'll be best off getting the small ssd for your boot drive and have a second one for main storage.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

For example a loading screen in a game that takes 3-5 minutes on a 5200rpm HDD loads in around 5 seconds on a decent ssd.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I will defiantly be getting a SSD. Thanks. So either of these systems would be able to be upgraded later on to run a triple monitor setup with the graphics turned up? I had thought about going with a sli board so I could add another card in a few months. I know you said you left the case up to me but what would you recommend? He just said he wants black with blue lights. lol (he is only 7) I just want to make sure I get something that will not run it hot. Thanks again for all the help and sorry for the questions. I am going to start ordering everything today so I have time to get it all here and together before Christmas.

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you think of this build? Would it be better or worse than the suggestions above?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/lee42lee/saved/#view=kdmscf

I am ordering one of the three first thing in the morning.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Any advice on which of the three would be the best?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube