add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU hook up question

pshopper
  • 52 months ago

Here's my build which I'm currently putting together. It's been a while since I hooked on of these up, so excuse the noob question:

build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=mWCRsY

So the PSU has a 24 pin modular cable which must go to the 20 pin interface on the mobo. This leaves me with only a 20 pin hookup which the mobo manual implied it could do. There is no place for the other 4 pin interface which dangles off the end of the cable.

Without a monitor attached, I powered up and the cpu fan didn't spin, but the lights for the front panel switches lit up. The PSU fan didn't spin, but that's expected because it doesn't fire up until needed. Seeing the CPU fan didn't spin, I turned the power off and unplugged immediately. Is there a chance I just damaged something?

I'm guessing that to get the full 24 pin power, I believe I need to use a second 6 pin modular cable, plugging into one of the HDD interfaces on the PSU. Then, I run that to another 4 pin interface on the mobo which is far away from the 20 pin interface already in use. This 4 pin interface is indicated in the mobo manual as what I should use for 24 pin power. Is this correct? Is this what I need to do to get things working?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no place for the other 4 pin interface which dangles off the end of the cable.

exactly, you won't use it..

Between the DVI and the CPU, there is a 4 pin power connector for the cpu.. Did you connect that?

there is an 8 pin cpu power connector, for this motherboard you will use part of it and the other one won't be used, this cable divides just like the 24 pin

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Also two psu's shouldn't hook up, that is how Diablotek and Logysis psu's are made...

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

"Between the DVI and the CPU, there is a 4 pin power connector for the cpu.. Did you connect that?"

When you say "between" I assume you mean physically between these components on the actual mother board. If so, then NO, I didn't connect it but I do see what you mean. The mobo manual describes this port as "ATX 12v power connector"..... "Please connect an ATX 12v power supply to this connector". It doesn't mention CPU power.

To be clear, I did connect the CPU fan to the correct interface so I'm surprised it didn't spin even if the CPU itself wasn't "powered". I never checked the graphics card fan. Once I have everything hooked up correctly, shouldn't that also spin during power up?

I understand what you are asking me to do. I recognize the cable with 8 pins that goes into the PSU and breaks into two 4 pin males. (This is different from the blue 8pin cable I used to power the graphics card). Are you familiar enough with this mobo and psu to be sure it's right thing to do? I'm just surprised there's no mention of it being CPU power in the mobo manual and I don't want to fry anything.

To be exceedingly clear, I should use the bottom left 8-pin interface as shown here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/products/sx500-lg/sx500-lg-front.jpg

And plug the 4pin interface into the 4 pin female as shown here in the upper left quadrant (between the CPU and DVI as you describe): https://gzhls.at/p/1319474.jpg

Is this correct?

Thanks

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The mobo manual describes this port as "ATX 12v power connector"

exactly.. this will give power to the CPU, so this means your cpu is not turning on so it can't post. The fan on cpu should be connected to CPU_FAN header.

To be exceedingly clear, I should use the bottom left 8-pin interface as shown here:

yes, the blue one is meant for the graphics card

And plug the 4pin interface into the 4 pin female as shown here in the upper left quadrant

yes but if you look closely at the 2 (4 pin,)

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

you will see they have different shapes, one of them has both square, just check the one that matches your motherboard and use that one.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your patience and the help. Fan was already correct. So, I hooked it up as you describe, but no change. At this point I'm concerned something's wrong. I do see the blue highlight around the power button, but pressing the power or reset doesn't seem to do anything. I'm going to go back over everything later today when I have time. It might be time to dig out the multimeter.

Thanks.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

are the front panel connectors connected correctly?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I got it. I had things wrong on the mobo panel header. I've had confusion with this in the past as well. It wasn't clear to me if the power and reset plugs went vertical or horizontal on the panel header. I plugged in vertically instead of horizontally. Also, apparently there's a spare ground as well. It only worked after I excluded the correct ground.

Still waiting on my w8 oem and optical, but all looks good from here.

Thanks for the help. Glad you are here at the forums!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube