add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Steam Streaming

comida

50 months ago

I recently built a new computer, leaving my old rig sitting in the corner doing nothing. The girlfriend likes playing on her laptop on the couch, but that laptop sucks in a big way. We tried logging her into Steam on her laptop and my old computer, and then stream games from the computer to her laptop, hoping for a performance boost. The screen was flickering and running weird, so we scratched that pretty quick. Ark:Survival Evolved if that matters.

Anyone have experience streaming games through Steam? Is it glitchy, or am I just doing something wrong?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, the problem is probably Ark. The game is still in early access and has lots of bugs. My experiences with steam streaming haven't been great but that game is also a resource hog so tossing streaming into the mix will likely complicate things.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I've attempted the "steam stream" a few times and it has never yielded good results. If I could get it to stream at all, my experience was laggy, glitchy, and in general unplayable.

Granted, I've got an antiquated network here at home, but it should still be able to stream data via LAN fast enough to play. I like the concept Valve is trying to implement, but I don't think the execution or polish is quite there yet.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I do it alot on nice days to play on my laptop outside... you NEED good wifi or a wired connection for this... also, make sure to adjust your settings within steam and within the game for an optimal experience. dont expect it to run excellent at the same settings you play on the desktop itself.... your desktop will not only have to run the game, but also stream it at those settings... so lower your settings until you find a sweet spot. I play my games on the same settings as normal on my desktop, but i cut the resolution to 720p to match my laptop display, and on my network thats fine... if im not watching a 4k stream on my tv at the same time lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube