add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about wattages

Xorex64
  • 52 months ago

Heres my build if your curios

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/sptYkL

So there is a minimum power draw, in my case, ~323 watts. This is presumably how much power that the component take from the powersupply. Is this the amount of energy used per second? Minute? Hour? It is only gonna take that much power only at full load?

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Power is literally energy per unit time. One Watt is equal to one Joule per second. You are generally billed (in the US, at least) by the kilowatt-hour, equal to 1000 Watts for a single hour.

That 323W figure is a rough estimate of max power use, but isn't super reliable, as it's done by adding up the TDP of all your components, and TDP itself is only a rough guide.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

So its by the second?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The watt is already by the second.

The Joule is a unit of energy.

The Watt is a unit of power, equal to one Joule per second. It is a rate at which energy is generated, consumed, transformed, etc.

The kilowatt-hour is a unit of energy, as you've taken a unit of power (the kilowatt), and multiplied it by a unit of time (the hour) to get back to energy.

You are not consuming "323 Watts per second". You are consuming 323 Joules per second.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

All, i see thanks.

(Damn thats alot of power)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point
  • that's not a minimum, in fact it's beyond an outside maximum for this hardware. 323 watts is what you see in systems with the unlocked i5/i7's and GTX 970 or R9 380.
  • it's an average and will be fairly steady over time. the most fluctuation comes with idle consumption over time, but load is fairly steady. this system will pull in the mid 200's at load.

aside from that, the cooler and thermal paste are overkill for a 3.2ghz i5 that can't oc. same goes for the Z97 motherboard, and that one isn't great anyway.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

But that doesnt answer my question, is that how much it will take every second? Minute? Hour?

Im planning kn updrading to a k chip, so that explains the z97 and cooler. Why would the z97 pc mate be not good? All the reviews i saw were nice, and it has the features i need for a good price.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I also just purchased this motherboard, what's not good about it?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats what im asking

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it do well?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Wish I could tell you, I haven't built the system yet.. Back orders.. But as you said, the reviews are glowing..

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ikr? Why would it not be good?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

It is an overestimated use of the entire system at full 100% load on every component.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, thanls

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube