add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
lukeb1216
  • 54 months ago

If I get the OEM version of windows 10, that means I won't be able to transfer it to another computer when I upgrade, right? Or can I disable it on computer 1 then install and activate it on computer 2? If I won't be able to transfer it, which windows should I buy?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If I get the OEM version of windows 10, that means I won't be able to transfer it to another computer when I upgrade, right? Or can I disable it on computer 1 then install and activate it on computer 2?

Yes, that means you are not going to be able to legally transfer the OS over without changing the motherboard. An OEM's product key is tied to the motherboard, so you can do all the upgrades you want except for the mobo.

If I won't be able to transfer it, which windows should I buy?

A non-OEM version, like so:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900265

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900016

They are a tad more pricey (until you get to the Pro versions), but they are good to install on multiple computers. (As long as you have one end deactivated.)

You can also find one when it has (32/64-bit) by their name, or if they have "Full" next to their name when you view the part. (i.e. "Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)")

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Arg! So I thought! Well I guess I'll shell out a bit more $ so I can move it from pc to pc. Thansk for the quick reply!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube