add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best thermal paste

MrWolf22

50 months ago

I just recently built a new cpu and noticed the temps seem a little high. Is 42°C at idle using stock cooler normal? This may be because while I was making the computer, I reseated the cpu and the cpu cooler as it did not post on my first try. However, when putting down the cpu cooler for the second go, I didnt reapply thermal paste.

Should I replace the thermal paste? If so what type would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Is 42°C at idle using stock cooler normal?

it isn't bad..

However, when putting down the cpu cooler for the second go, I didnt reapply thermal paste.

bad idea, whenever you remove the cooler, you need to clean with alcohol and reapplied thermal paste ( i would recommend the pea method on center of CPU)

arctic cooling MX4 is an excellent thermal paste

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

also don't expect the best from stock coolers, as they are loud. With your xeon the stock one should be fine. If you want a cheaper more silent cooler, here is a good option

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacoap11301bua01

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice and suggestion of a cooler. I think I will stick to the stock one for now though. Its just easy to install and Ive found it to be pretty quiet. I pretty much cant hear it at all. Maybe cause I was just used to the old whirring off my dell studio :P

What type of alcohol should I use? (obviously not vodka :P) I have some 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes at home are they ok?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

70% will be fine... just use something that doesn't leave nay residues.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no real best paste. The application matters way more than the paste.

A properly applied low-mid range paste will easily outperform a top of the line expensive paste applied poorly.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats good to hear. Guess I'll just go for the cheapest branded stuff and apply using the pea/rice grain method.

Turns out temps arent as high as I thought. The 42°C is actually the socket temperature not the cpu temperature. Uisng MSI command center the cpu temp is 32°C at idle.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube