add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

do i need to change the case?

dumnerdroid

48 months ago

hello all,

a while ago i made a mistake of being too lazy to build a system and bought a store computer

however i think it comes with some decent parts so i decided to change some things i knew needed improvement

came with a M5A97 Evo R2 motherboard

Fx-8300 cpu (upgraded cpu fan) OC to 4 ghz

r7 240 2gb --->upgraded to EVGA GTX 970

12gb RAM

the fan upgrade kept the cpu from going dangerously hot, but i needed to mess with the fan speed to truly get it cooled down.

my video card also runs at 80C when playing a heavy game (fallout 4) (card sits at the very bottom of the case with fan pointing to the bottom, small case)

so my question is, do i need to upgrade the case for better cooling?? i would hate to wear out any parts out sooner because i constantly need to keep the fans running high due to poor airflow on the case. it has two outlets with only the rear having an exhaust fan out.

i was eying the Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower PC Computer Case

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

How many intake/exhuast fans do you have. It sounds like not many, you should probabaly move the GPU to the highest slot possible and get at minimum 1 intake and 1 exhuast fan which will drop your temps on the GPU to about 60-65 and CPU about 15C lower as well. No way should a 970 be hitting 80C even overclocked. If there is no space then yes buy a new case. I would go for a Phanteks Enthoo pro M mid tower. It is £50 in the UK (equivelent to $70-80 US) and it comes with 3 stock fans which are very good quality

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

the Pro M only comes with a single exhaust fan.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh I thought it came with 2 front as well, oh well it is still good VFM and he can get the old one from his old case and put it as intake

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah the cards fans point towards the bottom which is like 2 inches away from the bottom of the case. unfortunately this board and case is tiny so it doesnt allow me to put it anywhere else. think ill probably replace the case! thanks!

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I would just slap in a powerful case fan and see if that solves your issue. Also what cpu cooler are you using?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

i went with the zalman cnps5x. due to the case not allowing anything taller

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube