add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me with some doubts and parts that I should use for my pc

TheMentalOut
  • 54 months ago

Ok, so I actually don't know much about how to build a gamer pc, so I probably started with the wrong foot, so I wanted to make a gamer pc using an amd board. So I bought the asus m5a78l-m/usb3 Since I read that I could use the amd fx 8350 black edition on this board thats why I bought it, but after some research aparently in order to use that processor is better to buy a better MOBO, because of something with the chipset or something like that. Like I said, i know nothing about new components, I currently have an intel core 2 quad processor and a really really really old motherboard, so, I only know how to build old/cheap stuff xD. So I bought this motherboard and the amd fx 8350 already, I've seen some builds using this mobo and that fx on it so I guess that it`ll be okay, even that the processor will run better in a different board. I can use this board and this processor without any problems right? So the questions that I was having was. I was thinking in buying the amd r9 390 8gb, but I thought it was just too much.. I mean... 8gb? damn, and i don't even know if I can use that card in this mobo. So I wanted to buy the Nvidia Gtx 970, what do you guys think? this board with that processor and that Gpu will work just fine? will I have any problems? and I would like to know What PSU would you guys recommend me to buy? and what cpu cooler should I buy? basically all I wanted to do was to have that mobo with that processor and that gpu, also, I wanted to put these rams into that mobo with all that, Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 , my other question was, according to the specs of the mobo in the asus website, the mobo support that frequency (1866mhz) under OC, OC means overclock I guess? So, if i put these rams without doing anything will it work? I'll be happy if you guys help me out a little with all these questions :D. . thank you beforehand :D!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

No no no no no. The "chipset" will not in any way affect the performance of the CPU, you'll be fine. Sure, it being a cheaper board you might get slightly lower overclocks but, in reality, the difference won't be that big. You'll be fine with your RAM, no need to change anything it will just work. All GPUs will work fine in that motherboard, both the 390 and the 970 are great, for this build I'd recommend the 970 as AMD cards are plagued by driver issues, but in many cases the 390 will out perform it

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh god, I'm so glad to hear that, i've asked the same thing in some other places and the first thing that they say to me is that I should not use the amd fx 8350 in this board because it will be a waste, and I was already thinking in buying another one, but I'm glad to hear that i will not have any problems with this card :D, and yeah, I always liked nvidia cards, but since I was building an amd computer so I wanted to have everything from amd xD, but I think that I will buying that nvidia card. so, the other thing was, what PSU, would you recommend me to buy? I was looking into a EVGA supernova 650w... hmm the name of the psu was actually longer than that But I actually don't remember the full name xD. will that psu be enough for the gpu and the cpu? I also wanted to know what cooler would you recommend for this cpu? And if a use the fan that comes with the processor at default, I can use it for a few weeks right? it's not like the cpu is going to explote if a use the default fan right? Thanks you for your time!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use the fan that comes with it as long as you want if you have the processor at default. AMD won't ship a cooler that's not enough. That being said, it may extend the life of your CPU minorly by using a better cooler, but there's no urgency, you'll certainly be fine for a while. However, I've never had a CPU for it's full life so if you're not overclocking it's not worth much. If you do need a better cooler, the following are great:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

Bear in mind that unless you're doing some massive overclocks or want a really quiet PC you certainly don't need the Noctua or anything that high end. The first one is really great and there's probably isn't any need to spend much more.

In terms of the PSU, always go for something from the top two tiers of this list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Or maybe the third if you're on a really tight budget, never the fourth or fifth. Remember that the PSU is the only component that connects to EVERYTHING and can break EVERYTHING, never a place to save money. I'd recommend this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze in the 620w or 520w.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thank you the info! So i'm actually not planning to overclock the cpu, actually like I said, I have right know a really really really old quad core. so, with this 8 core processor I should feel a HUGE! difference without overcloking the cpu, But I'll do it eventually at some point xD. but I would just overclock the cpu to 4.oghz at least. no more than that. so the first cooler that you put in there (that was actually the one I was planing to buy) Will be enough that cooler if I overclock just to 4.0ghz?and thank you for all your help and time,I really appreciate it :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I know the 8350 Black Edition ships at 4ghz, so need to overclock for that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

really ? because the one I bought in amazon I saw it comes at 3.4ghz. according to amazon.. but well i don't actually until I put the processor on to see with how much it comes xD. thank you for all your help :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube