add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tubing and compression fittings question

GentlemanShark

50 months ago

I am using the included 1/4" tubing that came with my EKWB l120 on the 120mm radiator. However, when I unscrew the O-ring on the compression fittings, and try to put the tubing on the fittings, the inner diameter doesn't seem wide enough to accommodate the fitting, does anyone if I'm doing something wrong or if there is another step?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi GentlemanShark,

The tubing that comes with the EKWB L120 kit is 3/8" ID and 5.8" OD. From the EK site: "tubing: EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm>" The 1/4 size is the thread size on the connector. If you are trying to put 1/4" tubing onto a 3/8" fitting that is a problem.

Now if you are trying to use the tubing that came in the kit with the connectors from the kit, then it should fit. It does take a bit of effort to push the fitting into the tubing. If you bought some 1/4" tubing then it won't fit.

Good luck with your build.

Frank

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I'm using the standard tubing that came with the kit. Just got the numbers wrong, no matter how hard I press it won't fit.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

They could have made a mistake when they put your kit together. They use some good tubing in their kits. Check your fittings and make sure they are 3/8" ID. You might try soaking the tubing in some very hot water for a short time before you try to insert the fitting. I think they use neoprene tubing. You might try lubricating it with some water. Just dunk the end in some water. Use distilled water.

Frank

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, how do I check the fitting size?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I'm having trouble removing one O-ring off of a fitting, any tips on removing?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know how much experience you have with liquid cooling so sorry if my answer seems to simple.

1. The connectors are two piece that screw apart. The "O" ring is on the threaded stud and no reason to remove the O ring. The threaded stud screw into your devices like the water pump, water jacket with the O ring installed.

2. If you can't get the two pieces apart then use plyers to give you a better hold. You need to protect the connectors with tape. They shouldn't be too tight.

3. With the two pieces apart you can measure the stud where the tubing fits over. It should measure 9.5mm or 3/8".

4. Make sure you slide the sleeve over the tubing before you put the tubing on the connector. Slide the sleeve up the tubing away from the end of the tubing until the tubing is secure on the stud. Then slide the sleeve down and screw it to the connector.

5. Here is a link to a EK video that shows how to install a L240 kit. About 3/4 of the way into the video they show putting the tubing onto the pump. Yours should be as easy. If not, something is wrong with the tubing, connectors sent to you.

http://www.ekwb.com/ekwb/how-to-build-watercooling/

Frank

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I meant that I was trying to unscrew the two pieces to install my tubing. They don't show in the video how they remove the second piece.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube