add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA: Decoding the acronyms GS, G2, GQ, P2, and NEX?

Bozanimal
  • 52 months ago

I've been considering a new power supply. I've got a Thermaltake Toughpower that was highly regarded at the time, but it's been running for over seven years and I don't want to push my luck. It looks like there's some serious market saturation with PSUs now, so I've been having some trouble sorting out the best bang for my buck.

It looks like EVGA offers the best value in Gold and Platinum PSUs right now, taking high-quality designs from manufacturers like Seasonic and FSP, rebranding them as EVGA, and adding a five or ten year warranty (this is a lot different than it was back in 2008!). Though there are always bad stories with every company, I've read some good things about EVGA's customer service. I also don't see the "ECO" mode offered on some of the original manufacturer's proprietary PSUs.

Product line, acronym code, and original manufacturer in theoretical order of preference:

• P2 - "Platinum" (Flagship) - Super Flower

• G2 - "Gold" (Flagship) - Super Flower

• GS - "Gold Silent" - Seasonic

• GQ - "Gold Quality" (Value) - FSP

• NEX - "?" - FSP

Help me out on the aforementioned: What is the purpose of the NEX line? Any thoughts on EVGA in general?

Thanks,

Boz

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

with the pricing on the G2 units being what they are none of EVGA's other 80+ gold models have a purpose, rather there's no point in a consumer looking at any of them. the NEX line was their first full line of psus with mixed results. why they still sell them, don't know as they only have NEX 650/750 watt units and have two 80+ gold lines that are better and in the same price range (GS/GQ) and a bronze series that's leaps and bounds better than the NRX B 750 (750/850 B2).

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

with the pricing on the G2 units being what they are none of EVGA's other 80+ gold models have a purpose

This is what I don't understand. They release this new GQ line with FSP, which seems like its a very, very good PSU - $55 on Newegg for the 650W - but cannibalizes their GS and G2 lines. Why look at the GS and G2 when I can get the GQ with 80 Gold rating, Japanese caps, etc.?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps an OEM preference? The 650w GQ's ripple isn't that great though compared to others.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Within ATX specs though.

@Bozanimal

but cannibalizes their GS and G2 lines.

Hardly. People shouldn't even look at the 550/650 GS as an option. It is a good power supply, but pretty meh. Nothing special about it. $10 more will get you a G2. The much better power supply.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

People shouldn't even look at the 550/650 GS as an option

I'm not; it's the GQ that looks to cannibalize the G2. At half the price, the same options, and stong build quality (at least according to JohnnyGuru) I find it hard to justify the cost of the G2. I'm am open to arguments, though!

I'm also taking a strong look at the Antec HCP-750. I've read some really impressive things about it from an electrical standpoint. That's outside the scope of this thread, though.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

it's the GQ that looks to cannibalize the G2. At half the price, the same options, and stong build quality

Never. Its ripple is pretty meh. The warranty can't be matched with the G2 either.

Many people get attracted by that nice 10yr warranty.

I'm also taking a strong look at the Antec HCP-750.

Delta unit. It's good, but not as good as the G2.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

GS - "Gold Silent" - Seasonic

Really? In my head it was always gold short because the gs line was one of the few that would fit in my case.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

yea it's supposed to be "silent". even though the G2 units are all quieter except the 1000 watt, and even that one is quieter at max fan speed. hurr hurr. though in the long term the FDB fan on the GS and GQ units will definitely be quieter than the double ball bearing fan on the G2 units.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

was one of the few that would fit in my case

Tell me about it. I wish there was some way to search for both cases and PSUs by dimensions!

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I also don't see the "ECO" mode offered on some of the original manufacturer's proprietary PSUs.

There are a few. But it's usually a company asks the manufacturer to add that in.

What is the purpose of the NEX line?

I know it was EVGA's first attempt. But, there is the NEXG (or G1), and the NEXB (I want to say B1, but I'm not positive.)

G1 is mediocre, and overpriced. NEXB is just bad. Plain and simple.

Any thoughts on EVGA in general?

I like their graphics cards alot. I don't even know what they are trying to achieve with a bunch of new psu's being released though.

In all honesty, I don't know anyone that has a full grasp of what EVGA's plans are with power supplies.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

i was using the 550w G2 for a while and decided to get the 750 GQ, becuase its the same price but a bigger power supply. i dont care about the modularity anyway, so i got the GQ instead of the G2.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the purpose of the NEX line?

the nex line is the older G1 which you don't want to buy

you are missing the

EVGA PS which is the platinum silent made by seasonic

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up going with the GS 650, which was $70 after rebate. I actually have the G2 750 sitting here waiting to be returned because it is simply too long to fit in my mATX case (it is a very solid looking unit, and I wish it did fit). If the G2 is an indicator of the quality EVGA puts into its contracted manufacturing, I look forward to getting my GS.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

How is the quality of the GS compared to the G2?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube