add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build. First timer.

andymar07
  • 54 months ago

I want a quiet and compact build. I'm open to it not using the conventional "tower" case. Not flashy.

I was going to buy used on CL, but there were some inconsistencies with what the guys receipt he emailed me said and what newegg said when I called. In particular, there were different dates on the receipts I was given vs what their records show. Regardless, I'm building this and I'm a newbie.

Options for variation:

Microcenter CPU / Motherboard Combo

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

one other option: i7-6700k & ROG Z170 Express Maximus VIII Hero LGA 1151 ATX @ $568.98 (+~$100)

Is it worth getting a mobo that can support 64gb ram / DDR4 for future upgrades? I want to make sure the mobo is SLI capable too (x2).

Memory?

How important is Hz? I'd like to eventually upgrade to 32gb if it proves making video editing easier. I have no clue on quality / price / deals for this. Help would be appreciated.

Importance of a good PSU?

Versus this for instance.. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx750m

What am I looking or in a cooler? Something that is quiet is preferable, but I dont want to spend a fortune.

Open to downgrading GPU if I can get a smaller one at a better price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $299.99
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $164.99
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.70 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $450.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1237.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-14 17:53 EST-0500

And then I ask myself.. why not this pre-built?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454992/Gamer_MC982-B_Desktop_Computer;_Intel_Core_i7-6700K_Processor_40GHz;_Microsoft_Windows_10_Professional_64-bit;_16GB_DDR4-2133_RAM;_1TB_7,200RPM_Hard_D

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

So few questions.

What's your max budget? And what are you planning to do?

Don't buy that pre built it costs more and is weaker ask around. Smaller ssd weaker CPU weaker gpu and pre builts always have garbage power supplies. Plus you miss out on the fun of building

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd suggest not the prebuilt. For the same budget, we can make a list for you that would blow that prebuilt out of the water.

I read something about video editing in the original post, so I'm gonna guess it's a video editing and gaming rig. I pretty much always assume gaming rig, though. Luckily the two types kinda overlap.

All that being said, I think the original list looks great once the missing parts are filled in.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd like to keep it around 1000.

When it comes to video cards.. what are all of the different kinds of EVGA GTX 970's listed here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

I need to make a decision on a graphics card and RAM.

I can get a GTX 980 from best buy for 450. But I think a 970 would work well too. Looking around for good sales right now.

I like the BLUE EVGA GPU and i think blue ram would do nicely as well.

What is the difference between DDR3/DDR4 when it comes to gaming / video editing? What is the difference in HZ when it comes to gaming / video editing?

Thanks for your time!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

So the 980 is a step above the 970 but it will do great at 1080p.

Realistically the 970s are all the same its just a different look and style depending on the company.

Ddr3 is older version ddr4 is the new ram but its only supported on skylake and x99 and for video editing and gaming its a decent improvement I'd say its worth it especially for future compatibility go for the ddr4.

I'd say 16gb of ddr4 with skylake CPU and a gtx 970 would be a good mix I could put together a list for ya. Do you need peripherals?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card $318.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $94.99 @ Adorama
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $964.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-15 15:47 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

having a good quality PSU is very important. You don't want the PSU to maybe destroy your whole PC

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that a good PSU?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

the G2? yeah it is one of the best!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube