add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget College Student build for gaming and powerpoint, word and excel

rgsdoesitbest
  • 54 months ago

Right now I'm running a amd fx 6300 and thinking of upgrading to the new skylake., worth it?

Looking for a budget build for a college student.

I'm thinking skylake with a non K processor.

Good or bad idea?

Thanks

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, we need to know your budget. Also, what do you have in your build right now? Depending on your budget, what games you play, and what kind of GPU you have right now, it might not be worth it to jump to skylake.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking $200 for MOBO, $300 for CPU , $100 for RAM and copy of windows.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/rgsdoesitbest/saved/#view=2dfbt6

^ there is my current setup.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always upgrade to a 8350 or a 8320E if you feel like you need a little more power, but I'm with the others, not worth it to upgrade to skylake.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

ookay thanks, would it be worth it to sell the 960 and get a 970?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think the performance gains between the two are going to be THAT noticeable, especially at 1080p

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

okay, thanks.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Your current build looks fine to me, not worth spending $400 just to upgrade to skylake in my opinion.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing your current build, I don't really think it's worth upgrading.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

your definition of budget clearly does not match mine. regardless, your build is perfectly fine right now. If you're thinking that ~$500 ontop of your current build is an upgrade, I'd just keep saving up until you get put down like 1500 on an entire new build (the upgrades you're considering aren't extremely drastic since you have decent stuff already). The current set up should be able to play all games currently no problem (maybe not at ultra-high but... come on).

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thanks,

What would you considered for a new build?

An i7?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm definitely not experienced enough to give recommendations. I do admit the 6300 can use an upgrade, especially if you've got money lying around. I recently just bought a $500 build with an 8320 inside and I feel it's not as powerful as I'd hoped (but then again, I didn't invest $200+ into a CPU). Perhaps something like an i5 6600 or i7 4770? maaaaaybe. (please, don't quote me on these, I'm definitely not the one to consult). regardless, maybe upgrade CPU and save up for a beast graphics. you can always add more sticks of ram so you don't need to replace or anything. good luck man. do plenty of research before you make the purchase.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube