add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Different Grfx card for this mobo?

zlogs
  • 88 months ago

Hi, i'm planning to use a single EVGA 690 with this eatx motherboard. This motherboard can handle up to four graphics cards, so would it be more wise to go with 4 lower priced graphics cards? Which ones do you recommened? Thanks! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EpPx

Comments

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

690 is essentially two 680's in one GPU. Actually I think there are two gpu's in one 690. I'd stick with a 690, and get another one in the future because.

1. Room
  2. Heat
  3. Seriously the heat
  • 88 months ago
  • 1 point

So even though my mobo has 4 slots for grfx cards, i should just stick with the one 690 (which is already overkill) and get another 690 in 2-4 years when games are much more demanding? Also the 690 won't be as expensive(in the future). Thanks for the help again ;D

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, it's essentially quad-SLI with two cards, no where near as much heat and it will perform better, so stick with it. Also, anytime :)

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, you should go with 2x GTX 690, instead of 4x GTX 680 (or AMD if you prefer that).

The GTX 690 runs cooler (and takes less energy) than 2x GTX 680, requires less PCIe power connectors, and you can run it the 2x GTX 690 on two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (running @ full x16) ...

It would also keep your case less messy in regards to cable management, keeping temps down, and you wouldn't have to buy a second power supply (or those 1500w PSU).

Also, if you had 4x GTX 680, they wouldn't have any space in between them to draw in cool air, and they'd overheat like crazy.

There are just so many reasons not to run 4x dual slot graphics cards together on one motherboard... and only for a small increase in benchmarks. It's not practical, safe, energy efficient, cable management friendly... just not a good idea overall.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube