add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Primarily Console Streaming PC

MrChessPiece
  • 54 months ago

EDIT:

Budget: Trying to keep the whole thing under a grand, the lower the better of course as long as I'm not sacrificing a ton of performance. Location: US Use: Streaming, primarily console. Peripherals: None OS: Windows 7

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, I wanted to post about a video card but I figured I my as well get all the help I can, so here goes.

I wanted to build an all powerful machine that could do whatever the hell I wanted it to but then I remembered something someone once told me, it's pointless to try to future proof a computer. So I want to build a computer that will do what I want it to do right now and I can upgrade in the future when I have a bigger budget.

I like to stream on twitch, I did it a bit in the past then got away from it for a while due to life stuff. My computer wasn't great, at all. But I had fun. I can finally afford to build a capable machine so I'm very excited for this.

I primarily play console games, PS4, but I would be interested in dabbling into some PC games when I have a capable machine. I don't need my computer to be able to run any game flawlessly at supermaxultrahigh settings or whatever. I can deal with a game only looking as good as a console game would, for now. Especially because you need to downscale for the viewers anyway.

Based on the research I have done so far, I've picked one part; the i7 4790. Leaning toward the k now because I've read a lot of people saying they wish they'd gotten it now that they have a better understanding so I may as well because I'll probably say the same thing in the future if I don't. Other than the processor, I have nothing.

I think I want to go nVidia for the video card, read somewhere on twitch reddit that GTX650 or higher is recommended. No idea how motherboards come into play. Don't know what to look for in power supplies other than wattage. From what I've read it sounds like I don't need any additional cooling(?) I know I want 16gb RAM but I have no idea what brands to look at or know the difference between DDR3/4, etc. And I know absolutely nothing about capture cards. I want an internal one though, don't want to use my pvr anymore. Read something about AverMedia's on OBS but I can't find the page again.

I'm going to go back to my research now, any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, if you could add some explanation into parts to help me better understand that would be awesome, but you don't owe me anything. Thanks a ton guys.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I want to run a tri-display. It would primarily be a dual display because, again, I primarily play my PS4 which would be on one of three monitors. But if I were to play a PC game, the game would be on one and other nonsense on the other two. I don't need any monitors though, this is just to help with the video card selection if needed, thanks again.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Really need help choosing a video card... I'm not finding any information on how to choose. Just "gtx 650 or higher is recommended" and "gtx 760 is good for the money" What's the actual difference?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

No one wants to help little old me, huh?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats you're budget?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I know wanted Nvidia but this is way better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $32.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.75 @ OutletPC
Memory Patriot Signature 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $293.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $938.17
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $918.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-17 18:06 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you explain a little as to why it's better? Just trying to have a better understanding of all of this.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube