add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Really need help, want to use my os (Windows 7) on another my new build how to do it.

I'm Typing this on an HP All-in-one 200 from 08 and it has Win 7 on it, i putting together a build and was wondering if i could take the OS of this computer and put it on my new build? I don't have any other OS to put on this so i was going to install Ubuntu will this work, if so, how? All i have seen requires you to have another version of Windows to put on it.

EDIT, I found a guide detailing the install Ubuntu part, but would i be able to use my Windows 7 Key again, i plain to install Win 10 if this helps.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

... HP All-in-one 200 from 08 and it has Win 7 on it ... if i could take the OS of this computer and put it on my new build?

Legally, no.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, not going to work. The product key will show up as invalid on the new PC as it is an HP branded one time use key.

You gotta buy a new copy.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube