add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can static damage a computer when inside a case?

tiby

48 months ago

This is another on of those questions of mine that I couldn't find anything about online, even after searching for several hours. I know that when a computer is plugged into the wall, the case becomes grounded. Therefore you cannot damage anything inside it with static. However, if I where to have my computer unplugged and if I picked it up to move it elsewhere while having a large amount of static in my body, couldn't I damage any components inside of the computer by shocking the case? After all, it is metal...

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a reason people will touch their metal computer case while assembling the computer.

The case doesn't directly contact the components in your computer. Motherboard standoffs keep the motherboard from making contact with the case.

You don't need to worry about static damage to the components while they're inside the case.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

So if i where to set my ssd in the case without mounting it, having the whole drive in contact with the case could it damage it with static?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure about that one TBH. I would presume that it's safe - I think the shell SSDs are in protect their innards well. Though I wouldn't recommend having an SSD loosely inside the case during transport...

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now I have it screwed to the side of a 5.25" bay, so the whole side of the drive is in contact with the case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube