add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AutoCAD/Revit and Gaming Machine for $3000AUD

Morninglight2
  • 54 months ago

Hi!

I'm starting a degree in Interior Design next year and since I need to be able to run AutoCAD or Revit, I need a build that's capable of doing that AND playing all the latest games at 1080. I can beg, borrow and save around $3000 AUD or so and have only two requirements:

1) i7 CPU 2) 980Ti Video Card

I can be flexible on everything else - and if a good case for a 980 card can be made, I'll certainly listen!

Thanks a lot, folks. :)

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm in Australia, if you're wondering. (Sorry, can't edit the post to include location).

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Cad works best with OpenCL you are better off going with a AMD GPU setup. But keep the intel processor.

my suggestion is http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGL3Lk

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for taking the time to put up a parts list.

Unfortunately, CAD might work better with OpenCL, but I'm on disability and live in a studio apartment, so I have neither the money nor the space to maintain two computer builds, so that means I need to have a computer that must be capable of handling both CAD and video games. Here's the build's specs when compared to the recommended build for Fallout 4, which I own and is making my current computer cry: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5013&game=Fallout+4&popSysReqRAM=16&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+E5-1620+v2&gc_make=ATI&gc_deriv=Radeon+R9+390X&ram=16&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

I must also rely on parts readily available in Australia, and unfortunately, a fair few of the things in your build aren't easily gotten down here - or at least don't show up on the parts list as being able to be gotten at Australian websites.

I'm also an Nvidia fancreature, so I prefer their graphical cards. I have the monitor and keyboard, plan to upgrade to Windows 10, and wear headphones as not to annoy my neighbours.

Again, thanks for taking the time and I should have elaborated more in my original post to give you a better clue. Unfortunately, your build just isn't feasible for me.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The processor you selected is the v2 I have the v3 up there. http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5013&game=Fallout+4&popSysReqRAM=16&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+E5-1650+v3&gc_make=ATI&gc_deriv=Radeon+R9+390X&ram=16&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

this is closer to what it would run like. I dont see it up in there test systems.

and I used the AUS server to make this list so IDK why you can not get it :(

I was going mostly off of how cad works and seeing that it is twice as fast on CL and a higher bit rate I went for the best specks for that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically if it has a price tag next to it, it's what I deem readily available in Australia. Oh! I saw the problem - I was focusing on the website of the place nearest me, which was why half the stuff didn't come up until I turned the preferred merchants tag off. LOL.

Revit will need to be run, but it's not the priority - to be frank, gaming is. Hence my preference for an I7 and 980 Ti.

Here's the build I've put together that might be subject to change with parts I can scrounge from my current build: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/n22JJx

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

that looks good

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Where are you doing interior design mate?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually decided to just take a minor in it because I can't afford a proper design computer ($4000+), so I'm doing Creative Industries at QUT.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube