add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Micro ATX z75/z77 motherboards without legacy PCI slots

JeBarr
  • 88 months ago

Hi.

I'm looking for a good motherboard to pair with unlocked CPU and hoping to find a mATX form factor. Everything I see has legacy PCI slots. The board I have now has two unused PCI slots. The board I purchased prior also had two PCI slots never used. I think the last time I used a PCI slot was 2007ish.

In my part list I have chosen a standard ATX z77 board that would be mATX if not for the dang legacy slots.

I only need a single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot but will add a PCIe sound card eventually and if possible still have one remaining PCIe slot just in case the onboard LAN dies or maybe one day Gigabyte will release another RAM expansion card :D

There will need to be enough clearance for the CM 212+ cooler.

If I can find the right size board with good slots then I can purchase a smaller Micro ATX mini tower, which would be prefered.

Does it exist?

Comments

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh boy! I think maybe I just found it. Could this be a hidden gem? I can't seem to find any reviews but there's a board from intel not in the parts list here.

Intel DZ75ML-45K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121646

The only question is...can it handle a modest overclock with that ghost town in the pwr/vrm area? :D

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

I might have a hard time finding an enthusiast that would publicly admit to running such a board :D

When checking around hardware forums I didn't find a single forum sig, build log or nothin :/

Guess I'll have to be the beta tester?

• 88 months ago
  • 1 point

Bro, having legacy isn't a bad thing and doesn't effect performace I don't see why you would limit yourself to a board like that strictly bc you don't like unused ports. The I/O on that has what 4 USB ports seriously if you're looking to overclock some you gotta get past this problem you have with unused legacy ports..trust me sometimes legacy isn't a bad thing. I'd recommend the Asrock Pro 4-M http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157306&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= its gotta the form factor and an extra PCIe 3.0 for you to use. and Heck if you found a legacy PCI sound card it'd probably work better than some of the ones available now. Just keep that in mind hopefully my opinion helps some

Sherwood

• 88 months ago
  • 2 points

Think about it this way.....I might use those slot spaces if they weren't legacy, but I won't because they are. Don't get me wrong though, I've grown accustomed to not getting what I want for more than 10 years now due to the fact manufacturers think they can't produce a board unless it will be used by OEM, system integrator or botiques.

Meanwhile, the gamers/enthusiasts/DIYers are left flopping in the wind and forced to purchase hardware not designed for them.

I'm all for keeping legacy features around that are actually useful to me in some way, such as PS2 port, for example. I'm sure there are plenty of uses for a legacy PCI slot, just not for me, and probably not enough that 95% of every board should have them. If you ask me, the only people left using the slots are probably Creative haters, hanging on to old xonar cards out of spite, and replacing with the latest model again out of spite...without having the slightest idea about the nightmare of writing audio drivers and the fact that 'gaming' audio is not a big career move for those actually capable of writing said drivers. They'd all rather work for big names in the audiophile industries, where the pay is better. But I suppose this is a conversation for another forum, and another day.

On the lighter side, I've already settled on and purchased this Intel board, so now all I can do is wait. And while I wait, I get to investigate why in the heck Newegg wouldn't take my order. I must have done something wrong but gave up and forked it all over to Amazon without blowing the budget either. So it all worked out as far as ordering. Now I wait for the fun (and easy) part of assembly and testing while looking forward to the hard part.

After all, this adventure of mine into the realm of x64 is merely a stepping stone towards determining whether or not investing in the next enthusiast platform refresh will be worth it. I'm not gonna sink 10k into a proper 3D surround system until I check out the games first. Eight months of gaming and tinkering should be plenty of time to decide, so I'll be back in about eight months after harvest season, for another build :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube