add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Connecting up NZXT H440 fan hub

Littlemotac

49 months ago

Hi there, I'm sorry as I know there have been SO many questions about this, and believe me, I've read them all! So I'm really sorry about that. However, I'm on my first build and using a NZXT H440, and I VERY stupidly, unplugged a bunch of wires connected to/from the fan hub and to the 3 fans on the front side, etc. I'm pretty sure some of them are extensions/extras to install extra fans, but I have no idea how to tell which ones I need to plug in and where to.

I've got 2x 3 pin males, & 2x 3 pin females from the "bottom" fan hub part, however I don't know which one plugs into which and if it matters. Then I have 3x 2pin females and 1x 3 pin male from the "top" fan hub part, and I have no idea if they're meant to plug into anything either!

I can post pictures if need be, and I have to apologise again for such ridiculous questions, believe me I tried everything before this as I didn't wanna bother anyone with my lack of knowledge!

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

This should help:

http://imgur.com/iMCNWBX

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you monitor cpu fan speed in this orientation? I connected the cpu fan to mobo in CPU FAN 1

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Theoretically. It took me a while to get my motherboard to monitor it. From what I can tell, whatever is plugged into FAN 1 on the hub is what your motherboard is going to read. However, my motherboard (Asus Maximus VIII Hero) while being able to control the fan, the RPMs displayed never really changed (even though the fan itself was changing) I spent some time trying to mess with it and then eventually gave up so I might have just had a setting wrong. I have a Kraken X61 which was using the CAM software so I just went ahead and got the NZXT Grid+ V2 fan controller and I control the fans all in one place since I wanted individual control of the fans. Obviously you can't individually control the fans on the included hub since it all just appears as one fan to the motherboard.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok that's what I've picked up as well. I'm going to get the grid eventually as well. Thank you.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you have enough USB 2.0 headers on your motherboard. Mine only had 2 so with the front USB case ports and the KrakenX61 they were used (no place to plug in the Grid+) so I ended up having to buy the damn NZXT IU01 USB 2.0 expansion card. I was originally going to buy a USB 3.0 to 2.0 conversion cable but that was $10 and for just a bit more the IU01 gave a lot more options.

**** you, NZXT, making me buy all your crap!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Only one that you could leave disconnected is the fan extension for bottom fans if you are not using any. It's just a basic splitter so plug into the the inputs with the fans you are using and one is labeled as out put to mobo.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I'm not sure which version of the case you got but I bought mine at the beginning of December 2015 and it was a H442 (the 2015 model) and the cables that weren't fans connected to it had labels. Like mine has a label that says "FAN EXTENSION" on the extension cable.

Also note even if you aren't going to use the fan hub itself you should still plug it into your PSU as the LED module shares the power cable of the fan hub so if you don't plug it in you won't have power to the back and shroud LEDs on the case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube