add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

mATX or ATX

DrTot

48 months ago

I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I'm saving up for my first pc build. It won't be very high end but I planned it to be very upgrade friendly. I thought I had decided to go with mATX, but then I saw recently an awesome hard line water cooled build and saw all the awesome water cooling, modding opportunities I'd be missing out on. So I really need some help deciding on a mostly aesthetic stand point which should I go with? The two cases I was looking at specifically where the Corsair Air 240 and maybe the NZXT S340 or the Fractal Design Define S windowed. Please help I'm bad at making decisions like this.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What does this machine have to do, exactly? If it's not very high end, I'm not sure that water cooling needs to be in the picture, even if you're planning for a very upgrade-friendly system. The decision between mATX and ATX basically boils down to saving space (and maybe some money) versus having more expansion options. Personally, the way I approach these things is that it must work properly before it looks good. If you don't actually need water cooling, don't use it. If you think you might need it, or if you just really want it, then by all means go for it. Simple.

I can't comment on the cases as I have never used them.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

If you a upgrade friendly case and want to be able to do a nice custom loop I would go for the Fractal Define S. The NZXT S340 would also be a good option but you wouldn't have near the options that you would with the Define S. With the 240, that is not something I would recommend doing a custom loop in.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube