add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worth upgrading soon?

Jagjames
  • 54 months ago

Hey guys, so I am planning to potentially upgrade/start a new build this summer, this is the gear I am currently using: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/fd4pXL Basically a H57 chipset mobo, i7 860 2.8Ghz CPU, 16gb 1600Mhz ram, Radeon HD 7870 2gb Ghz edition

I was considering either jumping straight to a Skylake build i5 6600 (k or non-k) and a GTX970 Or going for the most recent haswell i5. Either way I'd need a new mobo it's just whether I'd have to replace the ram or not.

On the other hand, do you think my current build would last me another year or two when prices have dropped a little more?

I mainly use my pc for uni work/gaming FYI

Any other info you'd like, please let me know

Thanks!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems like your build is still solid for 1080p gaming. How's the performance for the games you've been playing recently? I'm guessing med-high settings?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes med-high typically, but I have the money to splash out on some newer parts if necessary - Would my proposed upgrades allow me to run high/v.high/ultra 1080p for years to come? I guess the question is more, typically how much do cpus and gpus lower in price over the course of a year (excluding deals like Black Friday)? If the price drop is negligible I might just upgrade sooner rather than later.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like a bargain, unfortunately I am UK based so no such luck here. Currently the 4790k is the equivalent of $365 for me whereas I can pick up a i5 6600k for almost $290. The mobo prices for each make it a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" sortve situation. From my point of view I might as well go the Skylake route. I see what you are saying about the GPU though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube