add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

old school gamer wants new rig ± $1200

willnallett
  • 54 months ago

Hello,

Thanks for stopping by. I apologize for the length.

I've built a few workstation and mid-range gaming PCs back in the early dual-core days. My last build was in 2007. I'm no noob, but more of an interested novice in regards to tech and computer components. I've fallen behind the curve in keeping up with what's trending and performing well in the PC gaming parts market. I'm an adult now, I've got some money to spend, and I'm in love with The Witcher, Mass Effect, and Fallout series.

I've got a flexible budget. I'm not flush, but also not a cheapskate. USD $1200 is what I feel comfortable with. I'm just terrible at making these kind of decisions when I don't feel well informed and behind the curve sort-of-speak. Future upgradability would be a must.

Cases I know very little about. Don't really care about the style or visual appeal. Cable management and sound dampening very important.

Intel CPU. From what I've researched the i5 3.5ghz 4300k -6600k range is sufficient for what I need.

I'm totally torn between liquid cooling vs fans. Convince me.

One smaller 120gb-250 gb SSD and a 1TB 7200 rpm HD?

SLI or Crossfire? Do I need to consider this now, or just hold out for a future upgrade?

I literally know nothing about video cards or the current GPU market. I've had both mid-range Nvidea and AMD GPUs in the past.

8gb or 16gb RAM? DDR4?

A 24" to 27" 144hz monitor. I already have a refurbished 24" 60hz. $275 max.

Windows 10 home x64

Mechanical keyboard because I'm a dumb nerd.

I own a three year old $50 logitech gaming mouse and $25 headphones.

Opictal drive?

Thanks for reading.

-Will

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm totally torn between liquid cooling vs fans. Convince me.

Both, you will need a liquid cooler of some sort of overclock if you want to do so and you will need a fan to help remove the heat, the real question is which type of liquid cooler, a HSF like a Evo 212 or a AIO cooler, for the most part you are best off with a HSF unless you feel like spending above $120.

8gb or 16gb RAM? DDR4?

8GB of ram is plenty and DRR4 will all depend on which socket you use.

Intel CPU. From what I've researched the i5 3.5ghz 4300k -6600k range is sufficient for what I need.

Are you going to be overclocking? Do you want to overclock?

SLI or Crossfire? Do I need to consider this now, or just hold out for a future upgrade?

Future upgrade once you get about a $500 gpu because you really are usually best off with a better single card since you will run into less issues.

Cases I know very little about. Don't really care about the style or visual appeal. Cable management and sound dampening very important.

I would recommend looking at that Fractal Define series, they don't have the best cable management, things can get tight but its doable to do it nicely if you put some work into and they are quiet cases, especially the non window versions due to having more sound dampening foam.

A 24" to 27" 144hz monitor. I already have a refurbished 24" 60hz. $275 max. Windows 10 home x64 Mechanical keyboard because I'm a dumb nerd.

Do you need/want those things or already have them?

Opictal drive?

You really don't need one anymore since you can do a usb install of windows, and download the drivers and games.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your response,

I've never over clocked in the past. I've never had a nice prosessor that could handle it or that was worth doing with. I'd be interested trying if it really is worth the performance increases I've heard about.

I currently own a 24" HP monitor with a 60hz refresh rate. It has noticeable difficulties with some games. From what I've researched 144hz seems like the way to go now.

I've never owned a mechanical keyboard and wanted a recommendation for one without a ton of LEDsor macro keys.

Damn, I see what you mean about those cases. Very impressive. Deff going with that titanium grey one. http://m.newegg.com/Product/Feedback?itemnumber=11-352-030

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi will..

A. The 6th gen skylake i5-6600K should do very nicely indeed, better than the 4th gen Haswell

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/220716-315137

B. How much Ram is needed for Gaming ??
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-testing-suggests-pc-games-dont-need-more-than-4gb-of-ram/

C. I have to admit that AIO or All-in-one Liquid coolers have come of age and I haven't come across a single case of short-circuit due to liquid leakage or such, for a very very long time.. but still am in favor of an air cooler, u see the performance between the best Air & Liquid coolers is hardly differentiable.. see for urself..

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/247662-183459-281614

That being said, I think the CRYORIG H7 is more than enough to tame the i5-6600K..

D. The 390 is the better video card in its price range, especially at higher res & ultra settings..

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/1330324/scdas141/3d-chips-390-970

My suggested list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $32.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $144.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $44.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $81.49 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Black Edition Video Card $333.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $48.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $43.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1211.67
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $1146.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 00:16 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube