add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading and want some help

mrhalliday1
  • 53 months ago

So I have an old Alienware that I bought off a friend. It was made back in 2007 and reaching the end of its life. There are some parts I would like to keep, but I'm trying to upgrade the other parts. Since I bought this from a friend I'm not in the market to spend a lot of money. I'm trying to keep cost low but still have a good performing computer. Right now the list is at $600 and I wouldn't want to go any higher. Here is what I was thinking:

Keep: The case and peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc) PSU - 1 kilowatt OEM ATX

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard - ( Foxconn NForce 590 )

CPU - ( AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000 + (2CPU) 3.0 GHZ )

Video Card - ( Geforce 8800GT 512MB with SLI connection )

Here is the list I put together: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2LcRD3

If there are any parts that would give me the same performance or no noticeable change but cheaper I would love to know. Finally there is a Integrated Audio C51XEM2AA sound card. Should I keep that or toss it? I don't even know if that sound card has been used. I would really appreciate any comments and feedback.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an i5 4460 and get gtx 960/r9 380 with the saved money

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube