add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Zimbrax
  • 51 months ago

Hello guys, so i have my build ready, I have an MSI R9 390, with a i5-6600k CPU in my ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard, a Cryorig H7, a crucial SSD 250GB, another 500GB HDD, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and this PSU Aero Cool KCAS 800W. I'll tell you I was aiming for a Seasonic 620W, because people said it should be enough for this build, but the retailer recommended me a Nox Urano VX 750w, which according to the website was 85% efficient. Turns out I was never able to prove it since it never worked. So I returned it to the retailer and he suggested this one that im using right now, the "Aero Cool KCAS 800W" rated 80Plus Bronze. It seemed to be really worth it for it price (only 64 euros) and it should have more than enough power for my PC, also it was rated 80Plus Bronze so it shouldn´t be bad either. Well I was installing some games on my new computer, and already it gave me problems. I was playing Sanctum 2, and suddendly, in the middle of the match my computer crashes and the ASUS got me a message about a surge that was detected in the power supply. I never heard of this brand of PSU's before so thats probably the problem. I would like to know what you guys think about this, if it is something important and I should worry about this PSU, or since it just happened once it's nothing to worry about really, although this is day one with this PSU... Thanks in advance, cheers!

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this motherboard just to sensitive? Because 800W should be more than enough for a single r9 390, it's almost enough for 2 R9 390's... How do I tell if it's the PSU that is damaged or is it a problem with the motherboard?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply. Is this one good enough?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The B2?

It's a great model, but 850 is alot for this build.

If you want to save money go with the 750 B2.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I know it is a lot for now, but it's just in case I ever get another r9 390. I heard 800W is the minimum for r9 390 crossfire. Just so I don´t have to change PSU again if I add another r9 390. Since I live in Portugal (Europe), I don´t know if I'll be able to find EVGA stuff around here, and I don´t really know other good brands for PSU's. Do you have any other recommendations if I don´t manage to find this PSU , because everyone seems to advice EVGA PSU's.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I don´t know if I'll be able to find EVGA stuff around here, and I don´t really know other good brands for PSU's. Do you have any other recommendations if I don´t manage to find this PSU , because everyone seems to advice EVGA PSU's.

You can't buy a power supply based on the brand 95% of the time. You have to look at reviews. Seasonic and Super Flower are some of the exceptions. EVGA has some great units and some not so great units, just like almost every power supply company.

Since you live in EU you can buy directly from Super Flower. In North America the only way to get super flower units is through EVGA. The B2, G2, P2, and T2 are all made by Super Flower. The B2 is based on the Golden Green platform by Super Flower.

If you can get a Super Flower unit for a good price than get that.

XFX, Seasonic, and Corsair RMi/RMx are all good power supplies.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

alright, thank you for your help!

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks. Have you got any reccomendation? Would the Seasonic 620W work? I heard it was a good one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube