add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget Gaming/Rendering Desktop ~400

Dathrick
  • 53 months ago

Good afternoon! I am looking to build a new desktop from scratch, i am in the eastern coast of the US and will be using this computer to game, render videos, and create games/maps as a hobby. I am a fan of AMD over Intel/invidia

I am looking at the 6 core AmD cpu for 100 because I like the 4-5ghz for rendering purposes

I own a msi 2g gpu card that I plan to just use until I can afford a beast card later on

I also want to get a nice case, maybe lit blue however aesthetics take a backseat over performance

I have 2 monitors that I use, a gaming keyboard, mouse and audio

Thank you!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

For cpu I have looked at; AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_PUfHwbAX5J36T For motherboard I've looked at; Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX AM3+ Socket DDR3 1600 Motherboards (GA-970A-DS3P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX4MUCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_uUfHwbFC0MVVE For ram I've looked at; Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B     https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009M0TCK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_8SfHwbRB3GY9Z

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

There aren't too many deals on PSUs right now, but this is a good one and will be plenty for a "beast card." IMO you'd probably be better off with doing this in stages where you get 8gb of RAM now with an 8320e, and then getting an aftermarket cooler and more RAM, and then the GPU. Vs. extra RAM now and sacrificing CPU performance later on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $99.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $60.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $48.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $410.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 17:42 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely like your idea of incremental upgrades, so that would be my base build and then I would upgrade from there? What would be good upgrades?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That wouldn't be the base build - I would drop down to a single 8gb stick of RAM and use an 8320e instead of the 6300. The 8320e isn't at a particularly fantastic price now though (unless you get it with the motherboard at a Microcenter,) so you might have to wait for the CPU and a PSU to go on sale to stick to your budget and/or stepping down to a cheaper MoBo.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If I raised my budget would that work as a "base build"? I also have a TB harddrive and a 500g harddrive so that's $50 off the build

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what your base build would look like. Next step would be one more stick of RAM and a Cryorig H7.

edit: Then you can either go for more RAM or go for the aftermarket cooler and overclock out of the gate, it's all about whether you predict which one will be more pertinent.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $139.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $34.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $48.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $424.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 18:47 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok perfect thank you! Last things (maybe haha) If I want to increase the speed of rendering videos for YouTube what's important to upgrade? If I want to play fallout 4 and GTAV on good settings what's important? What's important in game development?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the difference between the cpu there and the one I had selected? That one seems more expensive

Also what's the differences between that mobo and the one selected by moop?

Thanks guys! I'm newish to this and I want to learn as much as I can

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's that mobo http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming

What's the differences between the two of you don't mind Apologies for my ignorance!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so your opinion no real difference ok well thank you very much!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube