add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jwdixo
  • 53 months ago

I'm currently building a PC for the first time and have already ordered several components. I would just like to double check with some experienced PC builders that my components are all compatible with one another. Additionally, I need some motherboard suggestions as the case only supports mini ITX. Thanks.

Thermaltake Case CA-1B8-00S6WN-01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UDUAKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_6YJHwbG7A0VFP

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_k0JHwbYX714F9

ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 960 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5 128-bit DisplayPort HDMI 2.0 DVI-I Graphics Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRSERUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_O0JHwbKCA280E

EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_h1JHwb8ADS5BE

Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A7CAA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_02JHwbA4YF8VC

I assume any SSD will more than likely work. Also, I'm not opposed to using PC partpicker seeing as I'm on their forum, Amazon is just where I started.

Thanks again.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

There are no ITX motherboards for AM3+. You're either switching CPU's or switching Case's, take your pick.

There's almost always a better quality PSU for around that price. The 500 W1 is is pretty mediocre.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $76.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $23.35 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard $88.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $27.99 @ Newegg
Storage G.Skill Phoenix FTL 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.98 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $219.50 @ B&H
Case Thermaltake Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $47.80 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $603.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-01 09:47 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I just cancelled the cpu order. Is the gpu you selected better than the one I selected? Also, will that cpu cooler fit in the case?

The small ITX cube case appealed to me because I'm somewhat limited on space, the dimensions are perfect, otherwise I'd go with a traditional case.

• 53 months ago
  • 4 points

Is the gpu you selected better than the one I selected?

No better or worse IMO, just a few bucks cheaper.

Also, will that cpu cooler fit in the case?

Yes

The small ITX cube case appealed to me because I'm somewhat limited on space, the dimensions are perfect

I love the V1. I built my Wife's computer into one. Wonderful little case.

Not sure what sort of budget you're working with, but if you can afford it, Intel options have a lot more performance to offer if you can spend more. Starting with the i3-6100, which can be up to ~30% faster than the 860K in workloads that do not saturate on all 4 threads (similar performance in heavily threaded workloads). Or something like an i5-6500, which is ~25% faster in pretty much any workload.

Granted, the Intel options are a lot more expensive, but it can be the difference between running games at 30-40FPS minimums (common for the 860K), vs 40-50FPS minimums with i3's and entry level i5's.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $125.49 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $23.25 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $128.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage G.Skill Phoenix FTL 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.98 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $219.50 @ B&H
Case Thermaltake Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $77.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $769.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-01 17:52 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a good build, honestly though I'm pretty happy with 30-40 fps. I've been wanting to get back into some WoW recently, (loved the game) and the old MacBook Pro isn't going to cut it anymore.

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

The 860K is a bad CPU for WoW. You'll be lucky to get 30FPS on raids and in congested towns, likely less. You'll be entirely CPU bound any time it counts, and have way more GPU than you can make use of unless you have a 1440P monitor.

This is just one of those specific titles that really demands lots of instruction level parallelism for best performance, something AMD does not have.

WoW is an outlier of a badly optimized, overworked game engine.

You'd be far better served by an i3/i5 with less GPU.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess it's time to go back to the drawing board, I was originally wanting to do a $500 AMD budget build but I don't care to spend 6-700 I guess if it's worth it. Also do I need 16 gigs of ram as opposed to 8?

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I bought it last night, just cancelled it though, thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm definitely going with the Athlon 860k, it's actually $25 cheaper than what I'd originally chosen. Will the graphics card I selected do the job? Just wondering because I ordered it last night as well.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube