add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Fomrbyman
  • 51 months ago

I am in the process of upgrading an EVGA 500W ATX 12v in my build (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/Ydhqqs) and am considering a Seasonic M12-II EVO 520W 80+ Bronze Certified (Full Modular) available for 75 Euros or an EVGA SuperNova 550GS Modular (80+ gold) for 96 Euros. Advice (and alternative recommendations) much appreciated.

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure what the prices are like where you are, but I'll make the following statements:

-Antec, XFX, Super Flower, and SeaSonic make great units at any level. The one exception is the Antec HCG 520w, which has some poor voltage regulation.

-For EVGA, stick to the B2, G2, GS, or GQ series. Any of them that are from the B1 or G1 series are cheaply made and not worth the money.

-For Corsair, many of their budget supplies are very lackluster. Only the high-wattage RM series are worth it, and most other decent offerings from Corsair are likely to be above your price preference. AX, HX, RMx, and RMi (the last two are different than RM) are the good options from them

Between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the EVGA GS, because it's gold and modular. I'd definitely take a look at the other EVGA series that I mentioned, because there are likely to be better priced alternatives in there somewhere.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the EVGA GS, because it's gold and modular. I'd definitely take a look at the other EVGA series that I mentioned, because there are likely to be better priced alternatives in there somewhere.

Bingo.

The 550/650 GS are not worth it at all. Spend the extra cash and get the G2. It's worth it.

The 850/1050 GS is where it gets impressive.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a problem with my case and the G2 - slightly larger than the GS - and not compatible (I think). But the G2 was my first consideration.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Take a look at the Coolermaster VSM.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It's too late!!!

I've ignored the very kind advice (I'm always doing this) and ordered a Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply. If it turns out to be terrible I've only got myself to blame - but thanks for the advice all the same.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

and ordered a Seasonic G

Good choice. It is very similar to the GS.

The 550/650 GS is actually based on a special Seasonic platform that is essentially a rearranged G. In some ways the G is actually better.

You made a good choice.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

• 51 months ago
  • 0 points

The evga gq series saves you some money and its basically full modular as the only non modular cable is the 24pin connector id suggest you get that, very silent, gold rated and high quality components i believe tier1

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a tier 2, but it's still a great unit, especially for its usually low price.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, would still recommend :P Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube