add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking For A 4K Build Budget Of £3000

Karter430
  • 53 months ago

Hi im looking for a 4k capable pc setup but really not sure about a few things like the intel part, motherboard etc, etc. i'm not that smart in the PC area so your help is greatly appreciated :) if you can make a setup without using all my money that would be awesome.

i also wonder how easy is it to make a PC? if i need essential tools can you link me please? im 17 and really new to this but want to know how thanks.

being a new guy, is it possible you could explain to me what each part does or link me to a place that explains it. you dont have to :)

edit: sorry I forgot to add I dont need a keyboard, mouse or monitor. Just to let people know I have an acer xb280hk 4k 60hz monitor and want to make full use of it. Thanks.

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

you don't need to spend that much money.. Is this for gaming only?

I will assume this is a gaming build.

I went with an i5 which will the best bang for your buck for a gaming build and the sweet spot for gaming IMO. 8 gigs of ram is fine for a gaming build, but ram is so cheap that i went ahead and put 16gigs so that should cover you if you ever need more. The PSU is 850 watts to give you the option to add another 980ti later on.

if i need essential tools can you link me please?

phillips screwdriver and zip ties

i also wonder how easy is it to make a PC?

yes.. check this video, as this guy takes his time explaining. He explains everything with great detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SpXdXdrrBk

if you have any question just ask! Im here to help you!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £189.99 @ Dabs
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £79.19 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £168.40 @ Dabs
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £77.02 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £55.71 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.98 @ Novatech
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card £511.14 @ Aria PC
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £85.54 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £94.96 @ Aria PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit) £84.90 @ More Computers
Monitor Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor £424.98 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard £77.38 @ CCL Computers
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse £54.98 @ Aria PC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1939.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-03 14:42 GMT+0000
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks great, I'm just worried a single GPU won't be able to cut it for decent performance at 4k. Of course there's still a ton of wiggle room before reaching the original "budget" limit.

It's a lot more conservative than my list, haha, but it's still a nice one.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks! :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! This will be mainly for gaming but I assume that il be able to do other things like watch videos and music etc without problem, is that right or am I well off?

If a pc requires say, 400w but I get a 1000w supply with that be too much or can you never have too much?

Being as I dont need anything like keyboard, mouse or monitor would I be able to get another 980 ti without anything being badly affected?

How do I post my part picker list as I would like some opinions on that but I dont know how to do it sorry.

Thanks.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If a pc requires say, 400w but I get a 1000w supply with that be too much or can you never have too much?

yes that would be overkilled. Use this as reference based on the GPU, it could be lower but....

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

With the 850 watts PSU, you would be able to add another 980ti.

Being as I dont need anything like keyboard, mouse or monitor would I be able to get another 980 ti without anything being badly affected?

yes.. that is the reason i went with the 850 watts as a 650 watts would be fine for just one 980ti. Just get the identical card.

when you are viewing your parts list, in upper part next to markup there are 4 icons, the first which is the PCPP logo CLICK on it and just copy paste that info to your post.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thank you. Looking at the reference chart maybe I should go for a 1200w supply because I will get another 980 ti in the near future. Will the setup be OK if I did that? Thanks again for the help. Here is what I made earlier.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £245.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For £0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Force EATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £191.24 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £111.49 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £209.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £53.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) £549.77 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) £549.77 @ Amazon UK
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case £129.89 @ Aria PC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £152.12 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For £0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) -
Sound Card Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card £137.53 @ CCL Computers
Wired Network Adapter Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter £23.40 @ CCL Computers
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For £0.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For £0.00
Total £2354.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-03 17:59 GMT+0000
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

For 2 980ti an 850 watts PSU is fine. Its ok if you go with a 1000 watts PSU but 1200 would be overkill. For gaming 8gigs of ram is enough, 16gb is ok as ram is cheap nowadays BUT 32 gigs of ram is overkill.

I would not spend money on a sound card as the one on the motherboard is fine and motherboard also comes with a network adapter so you would only need the wireless adapter.

Corsair fans are not the best choice..

The Z87 motherboards need a BIOS update for devils canyon (4690k and 4790K) to work. So for this build unless you are re-using that motherboard from an older build which you can update bios so 4790k would work, it would be advisable to get a Z97 motherboard. If not you will have to purchase a compatible cpu to do the update. Asus has some Z87 motherboards which can be updated without the need of a CPU.

Also an i5 for gaming is perfectly sufficient. Other than that this is a nice build, but i would go with skylake and DDR4 at this point.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Right so ddr4 is to do with memory. So I need to look for 16GB ram that has a high memory speed is it? And says DDR4 on it? So are the Z97 motherboards best? Or should I look for better? The one you have selected is that really good then? Also is skylake a name for some sort of Intel chip? Thanks :/

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, first off, let me tell you that your budget is certainly enough for what you're going for, haha

With a budget like this, you can afford an i7, though an i5 is all that's really necessary for gaming. The CPU cooler is the quietest overclocking air cooler available and it outperforms numerous liquid coolers that are twice the price. The motherboard I chose, while expensive, is a great motherboard.

I went with 16gb of ram because budget allows, and a few games are starting to list 16gb in recommended specs, though current games will not fully utilize that. 8gb is usually enough, but since the budget is what it is, might as well.

For storage, I went with a huge 1tb SSD boot drive and 2tb HDD for storage.

GPU is where people will start to disagree, but currently the r9 Fury X is the best multi-GPU solution for 4k gaming. While a single 980ti will beat a single Fury X, adding multiples causes the AMD option to take the lead because of the manner by which crossfire works compared to SLI. So I ended up going with a three-way crossfire solution because it will allow for the widest range of 4k performance.

HOWEVER, it is very important that if this build isn't going to be built for a while, I'd keep a very close eye on NVidia's upcoming Pascal GPUs, because they are being developed primarily for 4k, and they offer a huge improvement in 4k performance. So if NVidia's new GPUs are out (likely the 1000 series), I'd do an entirely different GPU solution than the one in this list.

For the case, I chose my personal preference, but pretty much any option is open to you. I'd encourage you to do some research here and find what you like.

For the PSU, I went with a Super Flower 1200w. It is the best platform you can get without going Titanium efficiency, which is unnecessary. The Leadex platform is the exact same hardware as the EVGA P2 series, just for reference, so I went with Super Flower because it's less expensive than the otherwise identical EVGA P2.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £300.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £58.95 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £168.40 @ Dabs
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £69.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £209.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £53.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (3-Way CrossFire) £469.98 @ Amazon UK
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (3-Way CrossFire) £469.98 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £85.54 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £183.46 @ CCL Computers
Total £2539.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-03 14:38 GMT+0000
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Whats better the i7 4790k or the 6700k? If i changed the gpu' s to two 980 ti's will the setup still perform ok? Thanks

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6700k is better by about 10-15%. Either one is still plenty strong for gaming.

SLI 980ti's will be a good solution as well. I went a bit overboard with my choice since it fit the budget, haha

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I think if you are serious about creating an amazing gaming experience, you will forget 4K for now. You can build a pc that will drive, you will offered any number of multi gpu solutions that will run games at that resolution and it will be mostly playable at ultra settings. For me though, if you want to experience what PCs can really do right now, lowering the resolution to 1440p (2K) is a much better idea.

You will find all of the major gaming monitors right now are pointed at this because it's easier to drive and deliver on what makes PC gaming... better.

The two best gaming monitors right now delivering amazing experiences in slightly different ways are the following,

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pg279q

165Hz is tricky to drive right now, especially at this resolution but the best part of this monitor is it will grow with your PCs upgrades and I would be highly surprised if your PC could ever surpass it's capabilities within it's reasonable life expectancy.

The other monitor is this one, now at 100Hz it is easier to drive but has a wider resolution (still considered 2K) so it will still be trick to hit it's full frequency potential but probably would with the next graphics card you upgrade to.

Here it is in it's glory

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

Now as you suggest you don't know much I will explain why I am concentrating on the monitor and the "experience" they will deliver.

Both monitors use an IPS panel. This improves colour accuracy and viewing angles over the cheaper TN panels available. The small trade off is response time where most people will aim for 1ms response in gaming, 4ms is pretty much standard for IPS gaming panels. I highly doubt you would notice the difference in response time but colour accuracy will be immediately obvious in terms of realism.

Both monitors use G-Sync which is a proprietary system created by nvidia (AMD use a similar system called Freesync) that matches the monitors refresh rate (the frequency, like 100Hz) to the number of Frames Per Second (FPS) your machine is able to pump out. And it constantly refreshes this so if you game is running at 89 fps your monitor will be at 89Hz to match it. The reason for this is it eliminates tearing and graphical glitches in the game to produce silky smooth and awesome looking graphics. Now you can get 4K monitors with G-Sync sure, but since you won't be able to maintain 60FPS in games I don't consider it to be as worthwhile.

Between the two monitors mentioned I prefer the Predator, almost all games will be able to run super wide screen and even when they don't you still have a large gaming space (albeit with black bars on the sides where space is not used).

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

In terms of the build I would do for these Monitors, it would be very similar to the one pegotico posted.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Im sorry I forgot to mention I already have a monitor which I think will do the job. Its the Acer XB280HK. I have now updated the topic. I have screenshoted this for the future as I will definitly like multiple screens in the future. Thank you.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

At least it is g-sync.. (stay away from AMD graphics cards!!)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah will do. I had a nvidia pc for about a month before it crashed and g-sync was brilliant with it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube