add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows Ten Processor comes with Legit Windows or..?

OmniPeuchent
  • 53 months ago

Edit, Topic is inaccurate ^ I meant to write operating system, not processor.

I mean I know it comes with the part itself, my question though is if I have to download something or do anything extra to have the legitimate version of windows 10.
Would I need an optical drive at any point either?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows Ten Processor...

No such thing.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Meant to say operating system**

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If it costs you $100, it is probably legitimate. If it's coming from a link on this site, it is definitely legitimate.

The expensive thing is the key, not the software; I'm pretty sure you can actually download W10 installation media for free, it's the key which sets you back $100. Any W10 keys from this site are either downloads (in which case you have to manually put the installation media onto your own USB flash drive), or come with a USB drive. Some of the older Windows versions may also install via optical drive.

In my case, I had to provide my own USB drive, but I got the key for free from my institution, so I'm hardly complaining.

The other difference to keep in mind: the "32/64 bit" versions are retail versions, while the "32 bit" and "64 bit" versions are OEM licenses. An OEM license is tied to your motherboard, and cannot be transferred under ordinary circumstances, while retail versions can be transferred (although it can only be installed on one computer at a time). Given that Microsoft is committed to making W10 last a very long time, I suggest shelling out the little bit extra to get a retail key.

EDIT: Also, if I hear correctly, OEM licenses do not come with Microsoft support.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought the ~100$ Windows 10 64 bit Operating System off of this site. It IS an OEM license that I've bought. This means once I've bought my mobo, connected the Operating System to it, and installed Windows 10, that legit version is bound to that mobo and only that mobo till death do they part?

My original question, (Very badly worded as I wrote it as soon as I woke up at 5:30 am) was basically, "If I buy the Windows 10 Operating System, is Windows 10 also going to be installed into the computer using said OS. If not, how do I download it...."

And thanks for dishing out that extra info at the end of your response even though it wasn't specifically asked for. Now I'll know to be triple sure about my mobo.

Edit: If you could actually tell me if Windows 10 would be supported on Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard that'd be pretty dam hardcore, not gonna lie. I ask because this mobo specifically says that it supports win 7/8.1, but said nothing about win 10

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This means once I've bought my mobo, connected the Operating System to it, and installed Windows 10, that legit version is bound to that mobo and only that mobo till death do they part?

It might be transferable under certain circumstances such as in-warranty mobo failure, but it's meant to be bound to that mobo and only that mobo until death do they part.

"If I buy the Windows 10 Operating System, is Windows 10 also going to be installed into the computer using said OS. If not, how do I download it...."

Okay, does the computer already have an OS installed?

If it does not have an OS installed, you assemble the computer, run a POST test to make sure it works and goes to BIOS, and shut it off. Insert the USB installer drive, start the computer again, and it should boot to the Windows installer; if it does not, you may have to navigate through the BIOS until you see the option to boot to that USB drive.

If it does have a pre-existing Windows OS, you may be SOL. Those OEM licenses truly are meant to be until-death-do-we-part.

if Windows 10 would be supported on Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Not with absolute, "I have used that mobo/OS myself" certainty, but I'd be shocked if Windows 10 was not supported by the mobo. Maybe some truly ancient hardware would be incompatible, but Z97 is new enough that there should be no issues.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer has zilch installed. It's a computer I'm building from scratch and will not come with any software installed.

The Windows 10 installer is included with the operating system?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

What you get is the Windows 10 installer and a Windows 10 product key. You can use the installer as much as you want, although the OS will refuse to run (possibly even install) without a valid product key.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a ton m8, that's just what I needed to know. I find it kind of annoying that the cheapest OS is 120$ cad. I tried to build my buddy a budget gaming pc for around 500$ but can't for the life of me simply because of the OS prices. -_-

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, what if my Motherboard dies after a year or two of use? Will I be screwed and need to buy myself a completely new OS on top of a new mobo?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube