add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU Question for SLI

pr718
  • 51 months ago

I will eventually want to SLI 980 Ti and this is my current build. Are there certain PSU's for SLI? Any recommendations for my current build?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

We can't see your build.

Regardless, so long as the PSU has sufficient output and enough PCIe cables, you should be fine. Granted, with something that expensive, you also want a very high-quality PSU, but you can theoretically SLI with any junker of a PSU which can deliver the requisite power via the requisite cables.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty.

You're perfectly fine. EVGA G2 is superb, and 850W should be enough, although I'd be a bit careful about overclocking.

Of course, I tend to be more careful than most about how much wattage is needed.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I will make sure I check my wattage before I do something like that. Thanks.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

A heavily overclocked 5820k draws around 60w above its TDP, which would put your system wattage at 820w worst case at full load. In SLI, the second GPU doesn't consume the full rate of power, so you'll be safe.

It's also worth noting that for a 5820k to overclock to a 60w delta, it requires heavy liquid cooling. So you should definitely be safe.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I do liquid cooling then?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Anywhere from 850-1200W should be fine depending on the rest of your build and how far you plan to OC

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Antec High Current Gamer PSU at 850W is only $69.99 right now and a steal.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg850m

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The primary reason to buy a gold rated PSU is for quietness. Higher efficiency devices will be less likely to need to run the cooling fan at high rpm. You are unlikely to recoup any price premium from electricity savings.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The primary reason to buy a gold rated PSU is for quietness.

tell that to people who bought the 1000 G2/1300 G2 and a bunch of other really loud 80+ gold psus I could name. psu noise level depends on the fan type, fan size, grill type, most importantly, the fan profile setting. efficiency and capacity have little to do with it.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Well obviously the more wattage available/utilized, the louder the unit will be. Noise and heat are the byproducts of having more power.

I was talking about comparing 850W bronze with 850W gold... not 500W bronze with 1000W gold.

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

At $69.99 for a reliable semi-modular 850 Watt unit, I don't see much reason to complain.

EVGA and XFX are the next best units at nearly $100... both Bronze rated by the way.

Edit: I almost missed this one. It is a great buy for your argument and fully modular: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-x850

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube