add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stick with Windows 7 or upgrade?

alexbush40
  • 53 months ago

So I'm in the process of building my 1st PC and I'm trying to decide which OS to get. I've always used Windows 7 and know my way around it. I'm not too interested in Windows 8, but I am looking at 8.1 or 10. I'm going to be primarily gaming, which OS should I get? And if I should get 8.1 or 10, is there a steep learning curve or is it still relatively similar to 7? Thanks

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If interested in Windows 10, you can try it for 90 days. You will need to remove it after the trial ends, since it is Enterprise version.
And no, I did not keep Win10, after the beta testings and trial version, I resumed Windows 7 use.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You can stick with 7. It works, and works well. I like 8.1, its reletively similar to 7. It seems hard at first, but you will get used to it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

they will have to pry windows 7 out of my cold dead hands.

however if you want DX12 you have to get ten. if i get it then i will definitely be doing dual boot

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I really dislike 8.1 personally, it completely changed the traditional UI of Windows so you would have a steep learning curve if you go with it. Windows 10 is closer to Windows 7 so it isn't that difficult to pick up. If you wanted to you can install ClassicShell and do a few minor tweaks to make the Windows 10 UI practically identical to that of Windows 7.

In terms of gaming your best bet would be Windows 10 as it's the only version of Windows which has DirectX 12.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I like win10 quite alot. I would definitely recommend it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I really like Windows 10. It's very similar to 7, in my opinion. I will be going with 10 in my new build.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess if I want to play Ashes of the Singularity then I'll have to get Widows 10 haha

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube