add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How can you tell the difference between Static Pressure fans and Air Flow fans?

joejccva71

49 months ago

Like I understand the Corsair SP vs AF fans, but what about the Noctua's, like these fans for example:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14industrialppc2000pwm

I want to buy 2 of these as my intake fans, but I want Airflow fans and NOT static pressure fans cause I don't use a radiator and don't have any kind of peripheral obstruction or anything in my case. I just want to push alot of air straight forward.

These fans don't say whether they're specifically geared for Static Pressure or Air Flow.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

The NF-A14 is a great choice as an enclosure intake/exhaust fans. As the others have said, this fan has good static pressure and airflow. Even though you aren't installing the fan on a radiator, there will be some resistance in both the intake configuration (from the mesh cover, fan filter, drive cages and/or front panel) and exhaust configuration (mesh or grill). Having a fan that is well-rounded in SP and AF will ensure that it will move a good amount of air even with some resistance.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

They are SP fans mainly but they will work fine as AF fans, you can use SP fans in the place of AF but you can't usually use AF fans in the place of SP fans.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Fans that have high static pressure have less space between the blades and the frame...

Those are the industrial noctua fans which have both.. ( a lot of airflow and a lot of static pressure).

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

So would they be fine as intake AND as an exhaust fan?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

i would just run them PWM.. Any fan at 2000 rpms is going to be loud and this are industrial fans which produce a lot of airflow, so even if you run them at reduced speed you will be fine.

Also you can buy the rubber corners, noctua has 6 different colors so you can replace the brown ones

http://noctua.at/en/products/accessories.html

amazon has most of the colors available

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, if you want to move large amount of air they are great for that, they also have high SP.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube