add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4K-able, OC-able, 60 FPS-able AMD Mini-ITX Build suggestions??

BillyBroken
  • 53 months ago

Got finished with my Mid-tower Intel x-mas build, now I'm looking to dabble in OCing and building in a more challenging form factor, and hell why not see what AMD and 4K is all about while we are at it.

I'm mostly an RPG player (typically Bethesda), and I'd like to be able to play whatever their next Elderscrolls tittle is in 4K. So I look to you all, The PCPP community to point me in the right direction.

This case is my only requisite SEEMS THIS CASE ISN"T PLAUSABLE So this is my other prefererd option

Intel suggestions are also welcome, was just looking for something different... :P

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

does it need to be AMD?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Since my last one was Intel, yeah kinda...unless you can justify why an Intel based build would be better/cheaper.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

The best AMD CPU available for mini itx is the 860k and the best GPU that you can fit in this case that would make sense pairing with the 860K is the R9 380 mini itx card from sapphire. The R9 Nano would be great but it would make sense pairing it with an i5. Are you playing games like fallout 4? Also what is your budget for this build and does it require a copy of windows?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just brain-storming here, peripherals and windows are not a necessity, and you can certainly use Fallout 4 as a jumping off point in terms of required specs. No budget constraints as of now as this will be a long term build. Again I'll take both Intel and AMD suggestions, I just wanted to try something different. If 1 option is justifiable over the other go with it.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

ok, this would be the all AMD build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $71.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard $89.98 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $46.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB ITX Compact Video Card $188.98 @ Newegg
Case Lian-Li PC-TU100B Mini ITX Tower Case $96.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $96.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $721.68
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $706.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 18:02 EST-0500

I would not recommend overclocking in this case, and honestly i don't see the need with an i5, as things will get hot inside this case.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $117.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $53.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card $609.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $96.99 @ Amazon
Total $1300.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 18:14 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Wondering why no water cooled option? I know fitment may be a bit of an issue but I'm not afraid to try modding things to work.

But it seems like and spitonastranger and yourself agree that this case is not a viable option as of now.

How about this case instead?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Listen to peg! Arbitrarily picking AMD for your CPU is a huge mistake unless you're trying to put together a budget build. The Intel line is years ahead. Wait until the Zen architecture is released next year if you really have to do this.

AMD is fine for GPUs, but stay away from the CPUs right now.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

^ See Reply Above ^

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I think peg's builds are both solid, but obviously favor the Intel route. Here's my take:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $253.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler $44.33 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $157.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $347.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card $604.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG GUB0N DVD/CD Writer $21.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $21.95 @ Amazon
Total $1739.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 19:02 EST-0500

Since your whole goal was to overclock, I stuck with the 6600K. Sure, temps will be hot in a small case, but I have a mITX build with dubious airflow and a 6600K and I can hit 4.7 without issue. This should be similar (I even have the same mobo). Whatever stock fan came with it, I swapped for the Noctua. It'll perform better without question. You also can't fit any 3.5 drives in this thing, so I opted for a massive 1tb SSD. Expensive, but I didn't see a budget anywhere. It's a very nice SSD and you don't have to worry about juggling between SSD/HDDs with this. Should still be able to fit the ODD, too.

My biggest concern is the Nano. It's literally the best you can fit into the case and it still won't game at 4k max settings. If you want to lower settings, sure. But that kills the point of 4k IMO.

Any reason why you picked this case? It doesn't look too bad, but I prefer other SFF cases that fit larger GPUs. This, for example: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sstrvz02bw

It'll fit a 980ti, which is the only card other than a Fury X I would recommend for 4k gaming.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Chose this case for the challenge of it and honestly was going to try to mod it for water cooling anyway...

But it seems like the consensus is right now it isn' t worth wild due to gpu length, 'cause your right if I'm going to game in 4K I'd only want want to invest that kind of money if I could max settings.

Would this case be a more viable option? This Silverstone was actually my first option, but after reading reviews, I heard the overall construction is poor, and heard the exact opisite of the Lian-Li. Which we can all admit is a pretty nifty looking little case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube