add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LFR Small PC w/ mid to high performance

Sathirel
  • 53 months ago

Hello Yall.

Here is my current PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor -
Motherboard Asus M4N75TD ATX AM3 Motherboard -
Memory Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory -
Memory Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory -
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 460 768MB Video Card -
Case Antec Nine Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case -
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) $186.00 @ shopRBC
Sound Card Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $52.75 @ Vuugo
Monitor Acer V173DJbm 17.0" Monitor -
Monitor BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $489.98 @ NCIX
Headphones Astro A40 + MixAmp Pro - Black 7.1 Channel Headset -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $728.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 20:31 EST-0500

I pretty much play these games right now: Planetside 2, LoL, Minecraft (heavily modded), every Blizzard games, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Portal 2, GTA V, Rocket League, etc etc... I play mostly Minecraft right now and its quite laggy. Average FPS is around 25-30 with some frustrating stuttering. I've got a nice 144hz gaming monitor to make motion blur and stuttering to stop, because my eyes are quite sensible and I absolutly wanted a screen that makes games really smooth. But my PC is too old to make it happen.

So, I wish to have a small PC (I would like to carry it room to room, just like you would with a console, but its not my wish to have a console size gaming PC). ^ My actual gaming rig is quite big, heavy and noisy. I wish to have a smaller, lighter and quieter rig. I would like to reuse some parts that I already have, such as RAM, all disks, and if I need too, even the case and PSU, but I'm sure I can find a light small case for cheap. The simpler, the better. And the cheaper, the greater. I didn't think of a budget, but I'm not gaming as I used to be. I would love to have a rig that I can get good FPS with nice graphics. I don't have a budget, but I'm pretty sure I can get something good for 500$ (CAN). If I only consider Mobo+CPU+GPU w/ all the others parts I alreavy have, what do you suggests?

Sorry for the bad english btw..

Edit: I've been looking from Micro ATX to Mini ATX and I don't really know how to choose. I'm not too sure how works the performance and cooling factor. I'm not sure either how to choose a case and make sure everything fit in it, and that its cooled enough.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $146.05 @ Vuugo
Motherboard ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $107.00 @ Vuugo
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card $199.50 @ Vuugo
Case BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case $39.88 @ Canada Computers
Total (before mail-in rebates) $522.43
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $492.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-07 04:51 EST-0500

This should do a good job. i3 processors definitely punch above the belt, especially in gaming since it favours Faster cores over more cores.

You can also later upgrade to another LGA 1150 socket cpu if you feel the need later.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow it looks like a nice build! Thank you!!!

I didn't know how to choose a proper CPU for my needs actually. If what you say is right, I might look deeply into buying one! But do you know how is a i3 for computer programming, 3D modeling? I'm programming a little and I'm soon to be studying to make 3D architecture (I don't know exactly the software that will be used, but I imagine something like Sktech Up).

This BitFenix Prodigy case is a in-store demo tho, otherwise its 100-110$. But I might buy one anyway!

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

As a word of caution, you will NOT be able to game at 1440p / 144hz with these components and budget. That's an unrealistic goal, unfortunately. With the currently selected parts, you would be lucky to get 60 FPS at 1080p.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have anything to suggests? How and what can I buy to make my 144hz monitor to work? Staying on the cheap

I have a deal for a 200-240$ MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB OC, could it be a good pick?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're still underestimating the graphical requirements for 144hz. That's two and a half times the workload as 1080p @ 60hz. I think a more realistic goal for you would be 1080p 60hz, which would be a noticeable difference from your old rig pushing 30 FPS. The 950 would be an ideal card for 1080p - it was designed for the resolution.

Personally, this is the cheapest I would go for a smooth 144hz configuration:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $253.05 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $25.98 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $128.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $62.93 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card $274.99 @ NCIX
Case Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case $25.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $98.40 @ DirectCanada
Monitor AOC G2460PF 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $372.98 @ Newegg Canada
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1292.82
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $1242.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-07 11:51 EST-0500

You could shave some more $ off by going with a cheaper non-Freesync display, but this is what I would consider a safe 144hz minimum. I would go entry i5 and use the z170 ASRock BCLK OC to try for a 4.5ghz. Easily the best bang for the buck for gaming performance. The i3 will save money but most games will want 4 cores.

I just think it's way outside your current budget. I wouldn't attempt it on anything lower than a 960/380 unless you're willing to drop the settings to Low/Med.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Your link isn't working tho :/

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion!

I might keep my HDD, SSD, PSU. I'll look into upgrading my RAM, and buy a new GPU, CPU+Mobo. I think I'll change the case for a BitFenix Prodigy. I like the handles. :) Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube